C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Amp needed? Advice please...

Billiam

I want to add the Music Bridge. I have 3 "areas" where I play music - outside, dining room, and theatre. The speakers outside and in the dining room each have a speaker point and the theatre's speakers are connected through my old stereo receiver. Most of the stuff (all?) go through an 8x8 component matrix. It all works fine most of the time. SOMETIMES, when I try to play music through my AppleTV to the speaker points, things get confused and if I play with zones and turn on video in the room where the speaker point is and drink 2 glasses of water... I get it to work. I THINK it has to do with the receiver being used in some Ghost Receiver mode or something and when AppleTV isn't showing video, only audio... It was explained to me and 3 days later I forgot how and why it had to be set up like that.

SO... Now I hear about the Music Bridge and things are solved. Right? I can walk around with my iPad or iPhone or iTunes on the computer, choose the bridge in the Nav, select the "room" and everything will Airplay into the system. So will it?

I've been told that it might only work connected to the receiver that the bridge hangs off of (for example, the theatre where the receiver is.) The speaker points don't HAVE a receiver, they're getting their signals from the ghost receiver (? Not sure.)

Anyway, the dealer suggested that if I had a Control4 Amp, that amp could feed to any zone (up to 4 inputs to 4 places at once although that might be pushing its limits.) I'm perfectly willing to get rid of my old receiver and spend another 1500 bucks if this would provide a more elegant solution. Would it? How can I get the bridge to "hear" my ipad's Airplay signal in the pool area (the house's Wifi can be heard there) and play by the pool? Then, later, take the iPad and tell it to Airplay it's music to the Dining room and Theatre?

Lot of questions that come up from your questions.

It's hard to comment on any ghost receiver etc - there are reasons to use something like it, although at first glance I'm tempted to say it's a bit of a roundabout way of set-up here.

If you have HE, if you want make a back-up and PM me, I'll have a look.

Either way a 4-zone amp could be a nice solution, provided you have no more than 4 sources to listen to and only 4 zones - not sure why that would be "stretching it" in any way - also there's the 8 zone too if more is needed.

As for the new bridge - it allows anything (well more or less) with airplay, bluetooth or DLNA to connect to it. You can then select the bridge and use your phone (or other) to send music to the bridge - or you could set it up where when something sends music to the bridge to turn it on is one (or more) zone.

As for making it work in the current system...well you could just hook up that bridge to the controller in if you don't mind a short delay between what you "see" playing on your phone and what you hear, that way it would be send automatically to the speakerpoints and an audio out from that controller to the receiver...

Thanks so much for helping. So I understand... I would install the bridge hanging off my 1000 controller in the rack (not hanging off my current receiver.)

Would whatever I want to airplay have to be near this bridge? Or would the bridge "hear" anywhere on the Wifi network for input? I'm getting the assumption that if I want to feed my iPhone music via airplay into the pool speakers the bridge would have to be within a certain range of the pool area. If I want the system to "hear" the iPhone from other parts of the house, there would have to be a bridge in those areas also. Correct? If that is the case, will I need a dedicated wire from the bridge in the pool area to the back of the controller? Or will the bridge's ethernet connection handle all the signals back and forth between it and the 1000?

You say I could just hook up the bridge to the controller if I don't mind a short delay... What would the setup be to NOT have that short delay? I'm not understanding the alternative setup if I replace my receiver with a control4 amp. I THINK the control4 amp would replace the current receiver and send the music to the theatre's speakers and speaker points from 3 of its 4 channels in a more elegant way than the current ghost setup thingie. Correct?

when I said "stretching it", I meant that playing 4 music sources in 4 different zones at once would probably burden the network's bandwidth and cause drop-outs.

Finally (thanks for reading this far), would I be able to control the theatre's sound via the round knob on the control4 amp's front manually? If control 4 goes down, I can currently push buttons on my matrix switch and control the receiver via its knobs to watch TV (likewise the light switches still work when control4 is down, they just don't hear any commands on the zigbee network.) If the control4 1000 goes down, will I be able to still use the amp manually? I can't tell from the pictures on the Control4.com website.

Bluetooth doesn't need line of sight at all - although anything in between the devices would limit range, just like WiFi or any RF would. But yes, airplay would work over the network and range to the physical bridge is irrelevant.

Note that the 1000 doesn't have an audio in, but with a 1000 you would logically have another controller (for IR and ZigBee) which would have audio in. audio FROM the bridge is a normal stereo out, it isn't streamed to controllers.

The delay would be if you do NOT get a C4 amp, with a C4 amp you would feed the bridge direct to the amp.

If a C4 amp is used it wouldn't be a stretch at all - but understand that you still connect the bridge via a stereo cable - C4 amps do not have a built in streaming option.

One stream is one stream - regardless of how many rooms are playing that stream, and 4-5 audio streams on WiFi isn't unrealistic on a decent set-up.

Again, one bridge is one stream - if you want multiple streams, you'll need multiple bridges (or airports express or other airplay devices) AND you would need multiple sources to connect to each bridge - your phone will only do one stream at a time.

While a little cumbersome, the button on the C4 amps would allow you to set inputs manually and set volume levels, yes.

Thanks for the answers. My 2 concerns have been satisfied - I CAN control the amp manually if the system goes wacky and the bridge will "hear" anything that airplays within reach of the network.

While a little cumbersome, the button on the C4 amps would allow you to set inputs manually and set volume levels, yes.

I've had my C4 Amp for 4 years and the buttons on the amp have never worked. Is it possible these are locked in a setting I've never noticed before?

As such, no the buttons cannot be locked, however when using a matrix in front of it the in/output settings can (and need) to be locked - not sure if that would block the front panel buttons to any degree.

If that is the case, as said you wouldn't be controlling the amp anyway - you'd want to control the matrix.

I have seen the front display fail on occasion on the amps though - unit working just fine but not controllable manually because of that.

Archived