C4 Forums | Control4

8x8 HDMI Matrix Question

mhavoc

Hi everyone...

Im looking at the 8x8 HDMI matrix and wondered if the RJ-45 'outputs' need to go directly to the HDBaseT Receiver. My question is, can that wire go through a standard gigabit switch (HP Procurve in my case) or does it need to be direct (point to point) wired to the HDBaseT Receiver? Im asking because that means that would mean that all my CAT6 needs to go back to a single point in my house where the 8x8 Matrix resides. I have two locations with gigabit switches in each location and a 4 gigabit connection between the two. 

thank you!

Hi everyone...

Im looking at the 8x8 HDMI matrix and wondered if the RJ-45 'outputs' need to go directly to the HDBaseT Receiver. My question is, can that wire go through a standard gigabit switch (HP Procurve in my case) or does it need to be direct (point to point) wired to the HDBaseT Receiver? Im asking because that means that would mean that all my CAT6 needs to go back to a single point in my house where the 8x8 Matrix resides. I have two locations with gigabit switches in each location and a 4 gigabit connection between the two. 

thank you!

I believe if your using a standard matrix then those outputs need to go directly to the Receiver.  However in your case I would highly recommend the "Just Add Power" (JAP) solution.  JAP is a matrix set-up that does what your asking about.  I'm not clear on if regular network traffic can be on those switches as well or not. 

thanks for the feedback. I took at look at the Just Add Power HD over IP and it seems that those are simply point to point without the ability to 'matrix' a source to any output. So, I guess at that point, there might be just 'old fashioned' HDMI matrices that allow any HDMI input go to an HDMI output.

Well, I haven't put my drywall up yet in the basement, so I can still run some dedicated CAT6 to each basement box to the main floor A/V closet which is where all my RG-6 and other TV CAT 6 cables terminate.

Thanks for all the info. If anyone has any other suggestions, Im welcome to hear them too!!

Cheers!

thanks for the feedback. I took at look at the Just Add Power HD over IP and it seems that those are simply point to point without the ability to 'matrix' a source to any output. 

JAP is a matrix and not simply a point to point set-up.  

Right. It works exactly like a matrix switch, it's just more easily scalable. You stool can't cascade it through a series of switches.

Run a CAT5e/CAT6 bundle (a pair of each) and an RG6 from the central rack location, to every potential TV location. You'll be glad you did.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Actually guys, with proper setup you can use more than one switch (kind of like "cascading" in a way). You can also have network traffic sent over the same CATx cable as the JAP. Both of these are more advanced setups that need to follow the installation best practices from Just Add Power. Here's what something like that would look like:

post-122958-0-41760200-1386881903_thumb.

Indeed, much more CAN be done using more advanced set-up, but understand that it requires different (more expensive) switches etc. Honestly, if you're doing wiring - just pull it right. Skimping on that is....

Of course if you CANT pull wires etc, JAP does have the flexibility you need.

Indeed, much more CAN be done using more advanced set-up, but understand that it requires different (more expensive) switches etc. Honestly, if you're doing wiring - just pull it right. Skimping on that is....

Of course if you CANT pull wires etc, JAP does have the flexibility you need.

Just throwing it out there, most people don't know about Just Add Power much less what all can be done with it.

• 3 years later...
If you are planning to use a HDBaseT HDMI matrix with receivers you cannot use it in conjunction with a gigabit switch. The receivers need to be connected directly to the HDMI Matrix. I have used KVMSwitchTech's 8x8 HDBaseT HDMI matrix units for customer installations and they work great. The also support bi directional IR and RS232. KVMSwitchTech also offers 16x16 and 32x32 HDMI Matrix solutions.

Archived