C4 Forums | Control4

C4-DIM1-Z dimmer and LED bulbs

wilddbill

• 1 year later...

Using a DIM1-Z to dim LED candelabra bulbs, but when dimmer is off the bulbs are still lit.  I also have a first gen dimmer that I am tempted to swap and see if it can completely turn off the light.  

Some have said that this occurs because the dimmer is not drawing enough load.  What if I add one incandescent to the chandelier, could that possibly do it?  I have six 3.5 watt candelabra bulbs in it currently.

Thanks,

Jeff

DIM-1 IS the 'first gen' - just a later revision.You'll want the completely new one.

And it's correct that it has to do with load - it's not the dimmer not drawing enough, it's actually that the dimmer draws too much. The total wattage of the LOAD isn't high enough, meaning that the resistance isn't high enough to absorb the 'leak' dimmers cause (note that ALL dimmers that do not have a hard shut-off do this) and the LEDS light up slightly because of it.

And while you CAN put an incandescent in to up the load - I don't recommend it. While the actual 'danger' is debatable that get claimed at times, different load types should never be combined, if only because it will harm the longevity of both the loads and the dimmer, plus the actual dimming is going to be off as well.

EITHER go to the newest gen dimmers (Adaptive version) OR up the load (min in previous gen is 25w, compared to adaptive phase current gen 1w)

On 3/17/2016 at 9:46 AM, msgreenf said:

I didn't get those (they were out by the time I looked), but I did try some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RX1PI8

They were $6 / bulb, which is on the high end for me for LED bulbs, but I thought I'd try 'em.  I couldn't find a CRI rating on them, but the light they put out seemed fairly good to me.

With my Gen1 dimmers, they dim well, but not much below 5-7%, and they're much less 'warm' at lower settings, as most LEDs are.  The color when they're 20-30% and up is nice.

RyanE

Archived