C4 Forums | Control4

Programming Multi Button Dimmer Keypads

eggzlot

So this will be the first of 3-4 different programming posts.  I am a total novice to C4 programming yet I do have a techie/hacker mentality and used to do a bunch of DIY stuff, so I think I can pick this up with some help.

I am having issues with my dealer finishing off my install - I went all in with C4 - Audio (Sonos), Video distribution, HVAC, lighting and security while moving into my new house a few months ago.  There are a few remaining tasks where my installer has dropped the ball, proven he cannot finish off the coding, etc.  Instead of using this to bash a dealer, I just really want to get this completed.  We are going on 2 months since they were supposed to be finished programming (and 3.5 months since they started running wires, etc).  This is way too long in my honest opinion.

First task:  I have 5 multi button keypads in various rooms (4 are dimmer keypads, one is just a keypad).  2 are programmed perfectly, 3 need work.  On the 2 programmed perfectly, when I press button we designated for sonos there is a blue LED light indicating sonos is playing, when I double tap the sonos button, it mutes and that blue light turns red to indicate its on mute.  Double tap again, it goes back to music (and a blue light), triple tap, music is off, and no blue or red (no color) is shown.

So I want to carry that LED color scheme over to the 3 other keypads.  2 Keypads should be straight forward.  The 3rd one may be tricky.  One the 3rd one, of the 5 buttons, 1 is for TV and a 2nd and 3rd button are for sonos (its a living room with access to a back patio, so 1 sonos button is for the living room, and one sonos button is for the speakers outside).  Where my dealer left off, he was having trouble breaking up the different tv/audio zones, so if anything was on (Say indoor sonos) all sonos/TV buttons would be blue.  They did not turn red when mute.  He tried to fix it, and now sometimes if the TV is on the TV button is red, but the Sonos buttons are never blue (or red) on mute.

I got Composer home edition but never got a training tutorial. 

Please help?!??!

Hmm if you have composer HE, go to programming, find the keypad and select the buttons, write down or take some screen shots of the programming.

What you're trying to do is not all that difficult, but it sounds like he programmed LED states off of the button taps, instead of off of room state (ie is the room playing audio, Sonos, is the tv on, is the room muted). While the button press to change LED sort of works, it creates inconsistency.

Thank you for helping out, I really do appreciate it.  I did not think this was a major undertaking - it was something he pitched to us day 1.

I am in Composer HE and I don't see any programming.  I am likely looking in the wrong tab?  I am on programming.  The "living room" attachment is the keypad that is not working properly with LED colors (again if I press the button the action will happen correctly).  The "kitchen" image attached is when I click one of the two keypads in the kitchen  - these  function properly.

am I looking in the wrong place?

post-134790-0-28929500-1392518635_thumb.

post-134790-0-70842700-1392518640_thumb.

Your in the right place... On the left side under "Keypad Event" there is a drop down list. Select the key you want to see the programming for and then select the radio button for "pressed". You may see programming now, if not keep selecting different radio buttons until you do see programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ok.  I see it now

So again what I am trying to accomplish: Ability to see a blue light when Sonos, TV or a light is on (single tap), and a red light if Sonos/TV is muted (double tap).  Triple tap turns off Sonos/TV - to turn off lights just hit the same light button again (like a normal light).  Also he sold me on using the up/down arrows saying I could change the volume of sonos or dim/raise the lights.  Now he admitted to having issues programming it as such, and the arrows only work Sonos volume, not the lights (unless I turn on Sonos first, then lights, and never go back to Sonos - not really use friendly).  So that is what I am trying to accomplish in a nutshell.

As for as the programming in the system, here is what I see below - but I do not see any LED commands, even on the kitchen lights which do have the proper LED functions.  That found in another area?

So for the kitchen light - which is working - when I press the "sonos" button:

Pressed = variables/kitchen music = true

released = blank

single tap = if room power is off --> select the channel "The Black Keys Radio - The Black Keys Radio" in Kitchen

double tap = send command "mute toggle" to kitchen

triple tap = turn off kitchen

This works, and has the LED for blue for sonos, red for mute on sonos and no LED when off.  I dont see any LED commands here, this appears to be more for the playing of Sonos

For living room keypad:

Living room Sonos:

pressed delay for 5 seconds, variables -> living room keypad = 2

released blank

single tap - if variables > living room keypad is NOT EQUAL to 2 > if room living room power is off --> select the channel "The Black Keys Radio - The Black Keys Radio" in Living

double tap - send command "mute toggle" to kitchen

triple tap - turn off living room

Patio Sonos:

pressed delay for 5 seconds, variables -> living room keypad = 3

released blank

single tap - if variables > living room keypad is NOT EQUAL to 3 > if room living room power is off --> select the channel "The Black Keys Radio - The Black Keys Radio" in Deck

triple tap - turn off deck

TV:

pressed: delay 5 seconds > variables > living room keypad = 4

released: blank

single tap: if variables > living room keypad is NOT EQUAL TO 4 -->if room living selected video device is DVR --> if room living selected video device is not DVR ---> select the DVR as the video source in living

double tap: blank

triple tap: blank

So that is what I am seeing.  Again with living room keypad, if I click the source buttons they work and play what should be played media wise, I am just getting very sporadic, if any, LED lights. 

The dining room keypads (not listed above) does not have any LED at all for Sonos

Dining room keypad:

pressed: variables > dining room music = true > variables > dining lights = 4

released: blank

single tap: if room room dining room power is off --> select the channel "The Black Keys Radio - The Black Keys Radio" in Dining ---> variables > dining room music = true

triple tap - turn off dining room

Ah ok, found that - exciting stuff here, I like learning this stuff.

So for Kitchen Room (which works for 2 keypads) under "audio selection changes"

If Room Kitchen Power is OFF

--> set music LED on kitchen > light keypad to black

--> set music LED on kitchen > hallway keypad to black

If Room Kitchen Room power is On

--> Set Music LED on the kitchen > hallway keypad to blue

--> set music LED on kitchen > light keypad to blue

That is all I see - I do not see anything for red/mute

That seems simple and straight forward, minus missing the Red/Mute button (which like I said works/is functional - just tested it, it works)

For dining room - its a mess - first off, we got rid of having 2 sonos boxes, i had to in my AV Rack, but had to move one to the living room, so now its sonos1 and sonos living room, no Sonos 2

?If Room Dining Selected Audio Device is Not Sonos 2

> Use the off color for Music on Dining-->dining keypad

?If Room dining selected audio device is Sonos 2

>Use the on color for the music on dining --> dining keypad

?If Room Dining Selected Audio Device is Sonos 1

?If Room Dining Selected Audio Device is LivingRM Sonos

?If Room Dining Selected Audio Device is Master Sonos

?If Room Dining Selected Audio Device is Office Sonos

?If Room Dining Selected Audio Device is Bonus Sonos

The Master/Office/Bonus Sonos are Play 1 or Play 3s, the Living room Sonos is another connect hooked up to my Denon AVR

Living Room Keypad:

Audio Selection

?If Room living room power is off

> set living music LEd on the living-->keypad to black

?If room living room power is ON

? IF room living selected audio device is LivingRM Sonos

--->Set living room music LED on the living-->keyapd to blue

?If Room living selected audio device is not living room sonos

--->set living music LED on living-->keypad to black

Video Selection Changes (for living room keypad)

if room living room power is off

--> set living music LED on living-->keypad to black

if room living room power is on

if room living room selected video device is cable TV

--->set TV DVR LED on the living --> keypad to blue

if room living selected video device is not Cable TV

----> set TV DVR LED on the living-->keypad to black

Only thing I can think here - I have two cable boxes in my video matrix.  One is listed as "DVR" and one is listed as "cable".  Not sure if the "Cable tv" in that string is for either box or pertains to only one of the two boxes?

Again really appreciate all the help!!

Mute would not be shown in that list, that would be in the room variables (press + for the room, then + for room variables and you'll see is Muted).

Starting with the "cable TV" this could also be the "cable provider" as well, which is in the system for reasons I won't touch here- I'd reprogram with a line for each option to change the color as in the working one at the beginning.

It really looks as if the dining room one is a complete mess. I don't know what the intention all is there, but little there will give you any consistent LED triggers. Is the button used for video/audio selection also controlling lights or something?

I wonder of the keypad is a keypad dimmer combo and there's something messed up or forgotten in the setup there?

My suggestion at this point is to back-up the project first. Then delete the non-working ones and begin from scratch instead of trying to fix these. Worst case you reload the old project....

We can start with the dining room one - would I be deleted what is in the "audio selection" area under the room, or deleting what is in "pressed/released/single/double/triple" programming area?

The keypad in dining room is a combo keypad/dimmer.   Dining room has 4 recessed lights controlled by 1 control4 switch, then this dimmer keypad that controls 2 chandeliers (wired together, so 1 button turns them both on/off).  so right now I have it set up with 1 button to control all lights, 1 button for just chandeliers, 1 button for sonos, then up/down arrows. 

I dont mind deleting stuff (if I know what to delete) and what to add if you guys can assist me. I have backups I can reload that I took tonight of the project, again, would just need to know how to reload.

thanks again!

I've attached image screen shots of the Kitchen v Dining room Variable that you mentioned above.

For kitchen, LED works, buttons work.  Only thing that does not work - if I turn on lights, then Sonos, I cannot engage the up/down arrows to dim/raise the lights.  At any point, if I single touch the Sonos button, the arrows will change volume for Sonos

For dining room - I get zero LED activity for the Sonos button.  And same thing with the arrows, will work for Sonos, not for the lights

I am game to delete/change whatever is needed.  Hopefully if I get a tutorial on the dining room keypad I should be able to do the living room on my own.

Thanks in advance.

post-134790-0-05719200-1392573924_thumb.

post-134790-0-72147900-1392573933_thumb.

Archived