C4 Forums | Control4

Self monitoring security

str1der

you "could" just get the sensors w/o the alarm panel and use C4 as your alarm panel... I mean you could plug motion sensors into the contact ports of HC-300's HC-500's or even Contact Relay Extenders... so you could bypass the alarm panel all together. Just food for thought.

Couldn't you also just get a Concord system but not get a monitoring contract?

Exactly!!! We will do this if the job requires conditional programming for contacts and sensors. We are not a licensed security company, but that's why we don't tie it in to monitoring. The concord is one of the easiest panels I've ever setup. I think it took me less than a couple of hours to program a 3500 sq. ft. house for the first time.

Those panels can be had pretty cheaply on the web.

I agree, I setup mine over a weekend including C4 programming...Works great and is more cost effective than the CardAcces solution for adding contacts as a bonus...

I am very happy with the response time from a wireless sensor to C4 response....I was originally concerned that there would be too much lag time, but it's quite "peppy"....

I now add wireless sensors and contacts to my security system just for C4 programming.....

Dave C

I agree, I setup mine over a weekend including C4 programming...Works great and is more cost effective than the CardAcces solution for adding contacts as a bonus...

I am very happy with the response time from a wireless sensor to C4 response....I was originally concerned that there would be too much lag time, but it's quite "peppy"....

I now add wireless sensors and contacts to my security system just for C4 programming.....

Dave C

So are you saying you use a Concord wireless security system? You then use their wireless sensors to trigger an "event" in the Concord system and then the C4 system can use this to trigger C4 programming such as bring up the lights in the hallway 20%? What do the sensors run? I assume you're saying that it's a lot cheaper than buying the zigbee ones from CardAcess.

Wireless security sensors are cheaper, smaller (in some cases), and the batteries last longer, since they are less complicated one-way radio devices.

Not that I'm saying that CardAccess devices don't have their place. They're awesome pieces in certain situations.

RyanE

Wireless security sensors are cheaper, smaller (in some cases), and the batteries last longer, since they are less complicated one-way radio devices.

Not that I'm saying that CardAccess devices don't have their place. They're awesome pieces in certain situations.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan. Just to be clear though, the Concord acts as a "go between" or "translator" that sits between the sensors and C4?

Wireless security sensors are cheaper' date=' smaller (in some cases), and the batteries last longer, since they are less complicated one-way radio devices.

RyanE[/quote']

Thanks Ryan. Just to be clear though, the Concord acts as a "go between" or "translator" that sits between the sensors and C4?

Correct. The Concord can be used just for the wireless sensors and contacts. There's usually like a 1 second delay when ever somethings tripped. Very convenient if you ask me. Much cheaper to go the Concord route than Card Access, if you do more than 10-15 devices.

With the Concord, you can also use key fobs, and use the pressed buttons on the fobs to do programming within the Control4 system, although the Concord won't let you 'disable' the arm/disarm buttons, they're reserved for arm/disarm on the fob.

You can still use the button combos (press arm/disarm at the same time, etc.) to do things.

RyanE

http://www.home-technology-store.com/home-security/GE-CONCORD-NA1-KIT.aspx

this place was the first through google. Usually I get the mini contacts for every door and window, motions for certain areas if they want automated lighting. you also need to get the rs232 automation module if you connect to c4. it doesn't look like they sell it here though. ADI and a few others sell them.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, but it looks like Ryan jumped in and pretty much responded as I would have. I do use the Concord wired and wireless sensors for automation in C4, I'be bought them from Bass Home Electronics, EBay, and other places.....Work great and are cheaper :)

I'm not using the key fob's like Ryan mentioned but I'm likely to in the near future...the C4 integration was a piece of cake...

Dave C

Archived