C4 Forums | Control4

Painful Download Time to Media Controller

Has anyone had difficulty in downloading MP3's to the media controller. It took me over 30 hours to download 60 gigabytes to the controller from the network drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vic

I think MC uses USB1 to comunicate to HDD - that can be the slowest link

Great call - I didn't even think about that. USB 1.1 (what the MC uses) is *at most* 12 mbps. If you're connecting via USB, that would definitely be the reason why you're transferring so slow.

To give a real world translation: that's *at most* 1.5 MB/s * 60GB = 40,000 seconds = 11+ hours (if my math is correct).

In all liklihood, you were hovering around 5mb/s which would more than double your time = 20+ hours, which sounds close to what you were talking about in terms of time.

Transferring over the network will be *much* more beneficial. (and using USB 2.0 to the computer you are transferring from over the network).

Hmmm... not sure about your math...

Let's look at this from the NIC card. 10/100 card running at 100 mb/sec REALLY in the BEST of conditions only run at 80 mb/sec. AND - remember this is only megabits - not megabytes - so to convert that we need to go divide by 8. So 80 / 8 means that we're transfering at 10 MEGABYTES per second. So that means we can transfer 600 MB in a minute. Which means 36 GB in an hour - so to transfer that over a network with the BEST of conditions, it should have taken almost 2 hours.

So 1.5 mb/sec - doing the same math - 1.5 / 8 = .1875 MB/sec * 60 seconds = 11MB / minute * 60 = 675 MB per hour. So by doing the math, it should take him 89 hours to transfer 60 GB... and that seems a little more accurate.

Take USB 2.0 at 480 mb/sec... it would transfer 3.6 GB per minute or 216 GB / hour.

These last two examples - I failed to factor in that only 80% effeciency - so that would further reduce these numbers... but these are a little more accurate me thinks. :)

RAID systems are expensive still go down (and users don't know what to do and usually screw them up even more - to the point where they can't be recovered). So for 1/2 of our customers I've been doing something simple - putting external USB2.0 drives onto these users systems and setting up the backup software to take an image once a week of the media server. Seems confusing - but it was the cheapest / easiest solution.

- I have it setup during the day when the system is usually on (they tell me).

- It does an INCREMENTAL backup each week (which means it does a pretty quick backup of anything new)

- I do a FULL backup once a month (1st day of the month) and have that setup to automatically delete all the INCREMENTAL backups after it is successful.

- I LOCK the backups so the user can't screw with them.

I can set it up in less then 10 minutes and have the first backup running that day. I just explain to them how it works and what they need to do (almost nothing, just turn the computer on). I even take it a step futher and have the computer automatically turn itself on (BIOS setting) once a month to make sure it's on for the FULL BACKUP.

It's a $300 solution for those that refuse to pay for a full system to do it automatically (which of course is the preferred way, like a RAID NAS with a hotspare drive and automatic notification to ME ONLY when it has an error etc...). But that solution is $2000 or more and our clientel bitch about paying that kind of money (hell - I have a hard time selling them an APC S15 line conditioner / battery backup for their system for $1500 - when they just spent $25,000 - why do people not care about protection - that is - until it's too late?!?!). Oh well.

What is running the Backup software? A USB drive has no processor, neither does the MC / HTC?

Sorry, when I said users system, I meant computer system (ie: the PC in the house running Windows XP).

Archived