C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee

ABCO

I am working on a quote for a customer, we are looking at installer an Elan system A/V with camera and audio, would like to install the HTC with lights only. Can I hook up the system to the Elan and use there Keypads to control the HTC via the RS232.

In reading all the forum notes, have you read any dealer installing a system at a customer that has not crushed for over 30 days, 60 days etc. Before I go and install this into a clients location, I want to make sure this equipment is rock solid.

I don't have any control over this forum (as far as password/private protection) You'd have to ask Dan or Andy about that one. Post it in the forum suggestions area.

On to your system. How about DVD players/Media/XM Radio? Most of the problems I have been experiencing have been because of media (ie digital audio, XM Radio) have been messing up. The system grows stronger each Update, but as far as being rock solid?

How much C4 stuff have you worked with?

Just received all are equipment last week, only done some work in are showroom. Will likely promote the Sony 777 DVD. XM has only launched in Canada last month so that is new to use also. Only saying this as I do not want to install $30,000 plus of equipment and have problems with the C4 as the customer will note release final payment unless all is working. Read on report were one company was having this problem. Maybe I am just worrying to much.

ABCO,

That post may have been mine regarding payment. I'm still trying to get my money out of that job and because I had a bad remote control on another job the day I was installing the HTC and she could't control her new 55" that dropped out of the ceiling that night, the customer (very, VERY demanding) tossed it all out.

I have definitely lost money Q4 of '05 with any Control4 jobs but I am sure I'm not the majority. I've not done a lot but what I've done we've learned on the job and lost due mostly to lots of extra time. (We went to training and I've been integrating for 4 years and came from a networking and programming background). Also we spent a lot of time troubleshooting that turned out to be product failure.

I'm closing a job where we changed the specs from Netstreams Digilinx and HAI to C4 in order to keep the interface consistent throughout the house. We've done much better on time but the client is VERY dissatisfied with the user interface and the touch panel (having to buy access points to make it work "right" throughout the house), and the fact that we are still having to wait on the HAI integration. I told him that I am very confident that this system is well worth it and in time will be wonderful, and until then you'll just have to learn to deal with it's limitations, nuances.

I would say that lighting is solid, and audio is solid once set up correctly, but user interface has many contstraints and remotes are limiting. Once they get those 2 things fixed they--IMHO--will be a fully viable player in the market. Of course cameras and doorbell integration are not there yet either as many "little" things are not, and we know they all add up.

So when selling C4 don't oversell. Manage the clients expectations and I think you'll do OK.

Archived