C4 Forums | Control4

Main Controller Power Down Test

danlevine

Hello,

We went through a dry run today of powering down the Media Controller. When powered back up it took about 3 minutes or so for the keypads to start working again which was fine. Unfortunately all of the system remotes stopped responding and one had trouble getting back on... I only looked at one of the two on the system, but that 4.5 inch screen lost connection to director and didn't reconnect. We had to manually reconnect.

This is obviously not a good result and we're not sure what to do. We are putting the Media Controllers on Battery Backups to prevent it from shutting down, but there is still going to be that chance it happens, and we're not sure what to do. All we need is someone to have a powerdown of the system and they have to reconnect 5-10 mini touch screens, remotes, etc...

Thanks for your input

Put everything as static. (or at least the MC)

Only if the DHCP resets (at least in my observations) does anything not re-connect properly. I powerdown systems very often, and they start right back up afterwards on most occasions.

Naa... there is really no reason to stick with DHCP... Your right, and I always follow that practice except in this particular situation and the obvious happened...

What was strange though, the system remotes didn't function well after they took a while and a lot of button pressing to get them operational again. Odd because they communicate over Zigbee not IP

Remember, the remotes (at least I'm pretty sure) are linked to the OS Navigator. Which means until the system is completely powered up, the Onscreen Navigator is fully functional (for the TV display) the remotes may not work correctly due to it still loading.

It may take longer for the MC Onscreen Navigator to reset than the MTS's

Dan,

We're these the wireless mini's or the wired?

I wonder if there is a delay that we can set (or C4 can change) for the MTS to look for Director. I wonder if what's happening is that the MTS boots and looks for Director. If Director hasn't completed bootup or for some reason gets some delay in getting a fresh IP then maybe by the time it's ready the MTS has stopped trying to find it.

Maybe an easy test would be to create the failure again, then take one of the MTS and power cycle to see if it connects.

Remotes:

In every C4 job we've done the remote frequently stops responding for about 30 to 60 seconds, then finally "comes back". It's not a Zigbee network issue because we've got lots of light switches and other Zigbee for great coverage in each project.

Let us know your results with static vs. DHCP. I can't imagine that being the problem. If so then I would think something is not correct with the MTS boot up procedure. Of course I'm no linux guru.

Archived