C4 Forums | Control4

Making your own component cable notes

andy.cytexone

We use bundled 5 wire mini-cable. It absolutely rocks. 1/4 inch across so its small and flexible (even fits in surface mount wire tracking) and I can get $3 Ft over cost. Liberty plus many others (windy city, AVAD, ETC) carry it. It's also much lighter to carry than RG6 bundled.

That mini is a 22 gauge conductor I think, Liberty also makes a 5 wire RG59 serial digital (20 gauge). I haven't used the mini so let me know what your results are. I know the distance is a little less than the 20 but I wonder i there are any other differences.

We have used mini-RGB from Belden for awhile now and it works great. If you are using separate RG6 or RG59 make certain that you keep the lengths very close to each other else you may get into an issue whereby the color info for the other wires is slightly out of phase with each other. When we use separate coax, we measure out one and pull the other two and tape them every foot or so and keep the cables in line so as to not twist and allow one to get longer than the others. we then trim to length and can usually keep a 30' run within an inch of each other.

We initially used the 26 awg mini-RGB cable form Belden and quickly got away from it since the center conductor was too fragile and a pain to terminate. We changed to the 24 awg and while you need to develop a good technique, we have been successful with that size. We usually carry a spool of 3 conductor and 6 conductor in our truck. You typically buy it in 250 or 500 foot wooden spools. We purchase the 3 conductor for about $.90/foot and we use GEM connecotrs that usually cost approx $2.70 each in gold. We resell the the custom cables for $3.00/foot (terminated) for 20' or more and the 6 conductor for $5.00/foot terminated.

We use the 6 conductor mini-RGB coax for situations where we may need the flexibilityof acheiving the following:

1.) 2- component, if we do not have a component switching receiver.

2.) 1 component, 1 S-video (2 coax) and 1 composite.

3.) 1 component, 1 composite and stereo audio pair from the built-in tuner in the set back to an amp or audio dist system to play over the in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

You do need to take care in pulling these wires since the jacket is a rubber material that has a high coefficient of friction.

Yes, and make sure you get the in-wall rated wire. Many companies make both interconnect versions and in-wall rated versions where the in-wall has a slightly different jacket that is not quite so succeptable to friction.

pebaugh, have you actually noticed issues with cables being a few inches longer/shorter causing the phase issue? We have never taken that much care to keep the wires in line (and we are pretty anal when it comes to wiring), and haven't noticed any issues.

ATOH

Do they have connectors for Belden Mini RGB model HC2650R, it is 25AWG. I really need to find some good connectors. We have been using the ProConnect one from AVAD, but they suck. To many pieces one, and they break, dont work, missing parts in new bag, etc.. I have been looking at other brands, but want something easy and reliable. I have also tried the Belden ends that are two piece without much luck. Thanks for any info. Anybody else that knows of a good connector for Belden MINI I would appreciate it.

BOZ

ATOH - Glad you like the AudioQuest stuff. We just switched (placed our order today). We are excited to be able to sell a cable that we can be proud of (silver conductor, great reputation, etc), instead of trying to make cheap crap work!

Anyway, just glad it seems to really do what it says. We used the connectors and CES and were very impressed, and I thought compression was easy!

Curt

BOZ

I think Liberty has some connectors for that cable because they have a mini too. I've never used because I can't get myself to go with a wire that small. The bigger wire seems easier to terminate.

Once you go mini, you'll never go back. 1/4" across for 5 wires, very flexible, solid performance. I can get 10 A/V interconnects and a control wire to a TV inside of 3/4" tracking. Not to mention the easy of carrying, space savings in van, and easy of despooling. It's too sweet to deny!

Do you have any signal degradation with the mini? Is it shielded? What kind of cost difference do you see? All I keep hearing from people is "go bigger". This is the first "go smaller" I've heard anywhere. Just. curious.

Blake

I've been told you can typically go 100' before you see signal degradation. I've not gone over 75' or so. Yes, it's shielded with foil and braid. Each wire also has an outer jacket and it's bundled in a thick outer jacket. We pay about $1.15 a foot for 5 conductor mini and about $2.50 a RCA connector (Beldin). We sell for $4 a foot plus $3 a connector. There is no technical reason to use a thicker wire over these distances. Of course not all mini is the same so you should do due diligence.

ATOH - Glad you like the AudioQuest stuff. We just switched (placed our order today). We are excited to be able to sell a cable that we can be proud of (silver conductor, great reputation, etc), instead of trying to make cheap crap work!

Anyway, just glad it seems to really do what it says. We used the connectors and CES and were very impressed, and I thought compression was easy!

Curt

We have been using AudioQuest for some time now and love all of their products. There will be times when you will end up with a short in your connection. The tips can be reused a few times. Finish your cables with heat shrink and your costs per cable will soar!

Rob

What is a good distributer of AudioQuest cables/terminations? also, does anyone know of a company that sells a bundled cable of 3 or 4 CAT5e's? that would be nice to pull to each TV location along with component...

as2

ATOH

Do they have connectors for Belden Mini RGB model HC2650R, it is 25AWG. I really need to find some good connectors. We have been using the ProConnect one from AVAD, but they suck. To many pieces one, and they break, dont work, missing parts in new bag, etc.. I have been looking at other brands, but want something easy and reliable. I have also tried the Belden ends that are two piece without much luck. Thanks for any info. Anybody else that knows of a good connector for Belden MINI I would appreciate it.

BOZ

Some of the Audioquest connectors MAY work with that cable. We use the ITC-18 connectors with HD6X cable. Supposedly you can use the connectors with other cables within a certain width range. I have used them with regular RG6 and Quad shield (the F connectors). If they don't have those width ranges on their website let me know and I'll dig up the information.

ATOH - Glad you like the AudioQuest stuff. We just switched (placed our order today). We are excited to be able to sell a cable that we can be proud of (silver conductor' date=' great reputation, etc), instead of trying to make cheap crap work!

Curt[/quote']

We have been using AudioQuest for some time now and love all of their products. There will be times when you will end up with a short in your connection. The tips can be reused a few times. Finish your cables with heat shrink and your costs per cable will soar!

Rob

Yes, you will have a short occasionally. Just look REALLY close for strands of the braid to be wrapped around the center conductor. Make sure to follow their instructions on their site. It makes it SO much easier.

There isn't a distributor that sells Audioquest. AQ does have a systems integrator program and shipping is free over $200. That's easy to meet!

Archived