C4 Forums | Control4

Guaranteed to work Ethernet switch

meracus

Ubiquiti for most systems. Cisco for niche systems. TP-Link for budget systems.

Why should the networking companies (who invent this stuff) dumb down their products for the AV industry?

Shouldn't the AV industry learn how to configure Cisco and Ubiquiti properly?

I remember clients asking me to throw away perfectly good Cisco SG300's "because it breaks their Sonos."

A proper education in Spanning Tree Protocol and the Sonos and Cisco ran perfectly together for 4 years. 

Yes, but here we are, rolling into 2017 full steam and far too many installers still don't understand the basics of proper network design and configuration.

7 minutes ago, forum said:

I remember clients asking me to throw away perfectly good Cisco SG300's "because it breaks their Sonos."

HAH! the other way around.

7 minutes ago, forum said:

Should they? It's easy to argue in both directions. Oh I think every company should have people that can, but should you really need to set up that 300 Cisco with spanning tree protocol just to listen to music?

Indeed - reality simply is that it's not the case that 'the av indusrty' knows it's networking - so there's a need (and more importantly a MARKET) for 'simple' but solid devices - and why would you put in more than is needed (within reasonable degree of future protection)?

I guess I could be more clear. The SG300 typically has IP cameras, Just Add Power, Sonos, Control4, VoIP stabbed into it.

If I were just deploying Sonos? TP-Link all the way!

I've asked a handful of AV dudes which company they think will lead the way in Software Defined Networks. They have no clue what I'm talking about...

2 hours ago, forum said:

I guess I could be more clear. The SG300 typically has IP cameras, Just Add Power, Sonos, Control4, VoIP stabbed into it.

If I were just deploying Sonos? TP-Link all the way!

I've asked a handful of AV dudes which company they think will lead the way in Software Defined Networks. They have no clue what I'm talking about...

LOL - true enough.

Like I said - I'd wish for every smart-home installer/programmer to know all there is to know about networking, but it's just not reality.

And I'll throw out TP-Link every time I see it ;)

I agree, TP-Link's not so bad, never saw a single TP-Link switch failing and never get any problem running a C4 system over those switches...

Got 20+ in the field, zero issue, while I got some Luxul gear to fail sometime...

On 2016-10-10 at 10:06 AM, jackstone said:

I agree, TP-Link's not so bad, never saw a single TP-Link switch failing and never get any problem running a C4 system over those switches...

Got 20+ in the field, zero issue, while I got some Luxul gear to fail sometime...

Experiences vary - I have taken out dozens of TP link and have had issues disappear - if they hadn't failed outright. Local store stopped selling them because they kept being returned (and no not by us).

Granted this has been a few years - but I have had no reason to change what we use now (Cisco or Planet) to date.

Archived