C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor Wireless Access Point

eggzlot

I am looking to add a WAP outside, likely under the eves/gutter.  A few questions:

1) I have a PoE dome camera in the same area.  Any issue installing them close?  I doubt it because both are wired not wireless devices but just double checking my sanity.

2) I already have a Ubiquity indoor WAP, so better off getting one of their outdoor WAPs?  I notice they have a 2.4 ghz and a 5 ghz model.  One better or worse?  I am by far a network professional; I just have some basic understandings of the nuts an bolts of how things work.  House is mixed with iOS and android devices.  Want good signal outside for phones and tablets.  May add a TV outside one day so would want good wifi to use Chromecast and stuff like that too.

Current network set up: cable modem > Linksys E3000 > Cisco SG 300 PoE Switch > out to my equipment

Any ideas?

Leaning towards this one: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFI-Outdoor-Wi-Fi-802-11/dp/B019LB25M4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472422205&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=ubiquiti+outdoor+wap

But then there is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Density-UAP-OUTDOOR-US/dp/B00HXT8SP0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472422236&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=ubiquiti+outdoor+wap

1. No problem.

2. In general with WiFi you will get better range out of 2.4; so if you desire longer range then use the 2.4 spectrum. How far away is the intended use space from the AP? As for specifics regarding Ubiquiti, I am not familiar with their lineup but the first one looks better on paper.

19 minutes ago, d1amund said:

1. No problem.

2. In general with WiFi you will get better range out of 2.4; so if you desire longer range then use the 2.4 spectrum. How far away is the intended use space from the AP? As for specifics regarding Ubiquiti, I am not familiar with their lineup but the first one looks better on paper.

range is very close.  Want to put WAP under the gutter/eves of the house (like the dome camera) and its to support the patio which is right there.  Dining area for now with a BBQ kitchen and living area to come later.  when we first do the patio in a few weeks we are looking small like 400-500 sq ft but may build it out over time.  either way, I would think this installed under the gutter with an antenna pointed towards the yard would be more than sufficient?  reviews are talking 800' range outside.  I do not really want to mount it somehow in the middle of the patio/yard which is why I am thinking up below the gutter.

16 minutes ago, twmoonly said:

we use the ubiquiti pico station and update to unifi. works great

Thanks for the idea.  That's almost half the cost so is am interested. How do you update to unifi?  Easy for an end user to do?  I could then use unifi software to manage this plus my current unifi wap I am using indoors?

thanks in advance 

interesting - thanks!

any difference in range it covers outside or anything like that?

I want to install this in my back yard under the gutters/eves and bonus points if it helps increase coverage in the front yard but that is not 100% required.

12 hours ago, twmoonly said:

Here is a link to the firmware.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205146010-UniFi-Convert-PicoStation-M2-HP-to-run-UniFi

Its easy to do and once its done you can manage it through your existing unifi software.

It works great outside and typically has great range since its open air with less obstacles. I cant say 100% it will help in the front but it may. we have installed them in the eave of many houses to work typically in the back yard.

Archived