C4 Forums | Control4

Heated stairs and patio

eggzlot

I have a new patio going in soon.  Living in NJ we obviously prepare for snow where possible.  I was thinking about installing a heating element under the pavers just on the stairs and the area of my bbq equipment to help melt snow.  Stairs are key as this is how we take our dog out to walk and bbq area goes without saying!

I see warmly yours is an option as some others.  Anyone integrate anything like this in c4?  Could trigger to put it on based on various weather conditions.  

Suggestions or comments welcome. 

I did this with a cable system in a concrete sub floor once. The cable went above the Styrofoam and sharp sand base. Worked really well.

Anyway. Outdoor the cables can be spaced further as you are heating to get to say 40, not 76.

Many come with an external thermostat to heat at the icing point. It's not just snow but ice that is the concern. Thus they do it automatically.

You could hack into and connext to the on/ off relay and a local weather station but like watering systems these things have also got smart so the need to squeeze it into your ha system may be less of a need than a want.

Thanks for the feedback.  My electrician is coming over today to talk with me and look at the installation; but from my brief research the control boxes for these heating mats/cables can start at $500+ for the automated ones.  The manual control boxes are like $300.  I'd rather just connect it to a relay and put it into my HC800 or use an extra Control4 Switch and then automate based on drivers if its $500+ for the controller.  My electrician said there are a few options so we'll discuss tonight.

Archived