C4 Forums | Control4

Composer Pro 2.9 seriously poor

avitmarine

It's great that the R&D budget is getting spent on improving the end user customisation possibilities but don't you think you should spend some on improving the current failings of Composer Pro. 

"Validate project" is guaranteed to ruin any multiroom working project.

The irratic behaviour of the menu tree is frustrating beyond what should be deemed acceptable. I spend more time " chasing" rooms in the menu tree than programming.

The lack of an "apply" to all rooms makes programming identical rooms unnecessarily laborious. One can't even copy a room to create another. I can't imagine programming a "boasted" 5000 room hotel. Someone must have a different set of tools than are made available to your certified technicians. 

I eagerly await version 3. I can only hope that we get the improvements to the rapid development platform that we need.

Regards

Frustrated:(

1 hour ago, StroTek LLC said:

the hotel you mentioned falls under control4 commercial, which does have their own tools etc... and only "Certified technicians" should have access to composer pro.. and "certified technicians" have been through training on how to use composer pro

Been  questioning  this for years now .............. but every time someone justifies owning Pro 

Here we go !

Happy with my HE

1 hour ago, StroTek LLC said:

the hotel you mentioned falls under control4 commercial, which does have their own tools etc... and only "Certified technicians" should have access to composer pro.. and "certified technicians" have been through training on how to use composer pro

I dont see what you are getting at.

I'm certified, I use Composer Pro, I program Crestron, AMX , C & C++, oh and I've sold €100,000 C4 this year alone. 

I'm just saying, time to look after the programmers too, it could be improved alot and I've not found the copy and paste yet, maybe you could tell me where to find it

Sorry I never asked about you?

TBH.. I agree composer pro is not the ultimate developers tool.. however... we pay our programmers by the hour .... so in a certain twisted way.. the longer it takes them to build a project.. the more they make

But then.. I havent seen too many rooms that are setup exactly the same way in the houses we work on... so a copy/paste wouldnt help much

While PRO is hardly the easiest tool in some regards - some of that is not due to the program as such at all.

Beyond that - it sounds a lot like complaining about a program you haven't had the chance or time for to get the hang of yet.

Seems like you're a little early into it to pull out the gun and start shooting it down - a number of the things you mention as 'impossible' or not working properly are you not doing things right.

'validate project' doesn't ruin your project - it shows you the project is ruined.

if you're chasing rooms so much, you just need to change how the tree operates - a function that is right there to use.

At the end of it all - you're complaining in the wrong place.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

At the end of it all - you're complaining in the wrong place.

I have to agree with Cy here... Go to the dealers forum... the following quote has depressed me chronically (even though said tongue in cheek):

3 hours ago, StroTek LLC said:

we pay our programmers by the hour .... so in a certain twisted way.. the longer it takes them to build a project.. the more they make

The problem is the corollary to that is that we, the customer, are billed by the hour :o

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I have to agree with act here... Go to the dealers forum... the following quote has depressed me chronically (even though said tongue in cheek):

The problem is the corollary to that is that we, the customer, are billed by the hour :o

Tongue in cheek indeed - the quicker you can do it - the more you get paid per hour. Pro is NOT as horrible as all that.

Consider this - the easier (quicker) it is to set up, the cheaper it is to set up, which means more people being able to 1) afford it and 2) leave time to sell it to and set it up for those people. Which would be beneficial to BOTH dealers AND control4. And yes for the end-user.

If I realize that - I've no doubt C4 does as well.

Realistically, HE allows you access to most things one would complain about, there isn't more 'hidden' in pro that is that much more trouble. Yes it takes some getting used to, yes there could be improvements made. If it was all that easy to make improvements - they'd be implemented quickly. Again, a lot of the 'difficulties' don't lie in the Composer program, but in the complexity and workings of the underlying system you're trying to program.

Indeed, 2.9 actually allows for a number of improvements in Pro - stuff you won't see as a consumer directly. On top of that, C4 has been releasing drivers recently that DO allow a lot of simplification - what you likely also haven't seen is new drivers for a lot of devices that allow for automatic import of sub drivers (example: you, the consumer sets up a Roku with all the channels you want, dealer presses button on the driver, and all mini drivers get loaded automatically)

Much underrated so far is the new experience button driver option, which allows for a lot of flexibility.

I'm certainly not disagreeing it could be better - heck why in the world would I not want it to be EASIER to do my job? Or at least my basic job.

This just isn't the place for it - the dealer forums is where you would raise this.

4 hours ago, StroTek LLC said:

TBH.. I agree composer pro is not the ultimate developers tool.. however... we pay our programmers by the hour .... so in a certain twisted way.. the longer it takes them to build a project.. the more they make

But then.. I havent seen too many rooms that are setup exactly the same way in the houses we work on... so a copy/paste wouldnt help much

To be honest I'm having a well deserved moan but in the wrong forum. Sorry guys!

Archived