C4 Forums | Control4

Advanced lighting ramp with keypad

dbuono

I have created and advanced lighting scene - bath on. I have that scene linked to a dimmer keypad button. What I would like to do is have the press and hold ramp and stop like a dimmer. Is that possible with the keypad?  If so how can I do that. 

Now all that happens is that it just turns on with the button 

I have created and advanced lighting scene - bath on. I have that scene linked to a dimmer keypad button. What I would like to do is have the press and hold ramp and stop like a dimmer. Is that possible with the keypad?  If so how can I do that. 

Now all that happens is that it just turns on with the button 

Bind it with composer pro

I could be crazy, but wouldn't it be possible to do the same thing with programming?  It's not as simple or elegant, but you could add programming to the "tap top/bottom button" and "release top/bottom button" triggers.  On tap, start a timer, and ramp all the loads at each timer pulse up a certain % over the same interval as the timer (to keep the ramp smooth), and then cancel the timer on button release.  This is more complicated, but should work with the older lighting, right?

I could be crazy, but wouldn't it be possible to do the same thing with programming?  It's not as simple or elegant, but you could add programming to the "tap top/bottom button" and "release top/bottom button" triggers.  On tap, start a timer, and ramp all the loads at each timer pulse up a certain % over the same interval as the timer (to keep the ramp smooth), and then cancel the timer on button release.  This is more complicated, but should work with the older lighting, right?

It's a single button on a keypad though press button 1 on press button 1 off

Ramping works with 2 buttons on older keypads and your code works but is a lot more work than a toggle scene and a binding

Now tell me what happens when some lights are on and some lights are off ;)

It isn't impossible, but your results will likely not end up pretty. Doing it via programming on one lights isn't impossible, and quite easy (though not as 'smooth' as a binding) - doing the logic, and the system via programming having to execute the logic, for multiple lights just won't turn out pretty.

UNLESS you have the current gen lighting and set up the same advanced scenes - because now you can go pack to programming a single line to do this.

Yeah... I can see taking all those variables into account, but it would be a *really* long programming screen and very complicated, basically to just replicate the new gen advanced lighting.  I'm a software dev, so the complexity isn't really scary, but I don't know how it would play out with the controller's behavior.

Archived