C4 Forums | Control4

HC300 as Zigbee with EA5 as master

drmark12pa

Question

I currently have an EA5 as my master controller in my system while it is primarily used in my theater (downstairs).  My C4 setup also includes an HC800 running my rack, HC300 running my office room, HC300 running kitchen room (upstairs) which also runs one of my garage doors on the relay.

My dealer set the HC300 as an zigbee server since there is some slight distance between upstairs and basement where EA5 is located in hopes of better coverage. 

However, I'm wondering if this may slow down the system if the HC300 is taking some of the commands?  I'm considering replacing it with an EA3 if that is the case for better speed but also better coverage of the mesh.

10 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

I currently have an EA5 as my master controller in my system while it is primarily used in my theater (downstairs).  My C4 setup also includes an HC800 running my rack, HC300 running my office room, HC300 running kitchen room (upstairs) which also runs one of my garage doors on the relay.

My dealer set the HC300 as an zigbee server since there is some slight distance between upstairs and basement where EA5 is located in hopes of better coverage. 

However, I'm wondering if this may slow down the system if the HC300 is taking some of the commands?  I'm considering replacing it with an EA3 if that is the case for better speed but also better coverage of the mesh.

I would be surprised if you see much improvement in terms of Zigbee but the EA3 is a much better unit all in all!

I doubt he set it as just a ZigBee server - assuming he knows what he's doing the EA is the SERVER, he may have set the 300 as a ZAP coordinator though. That would still be rather silly. Because you actually WOULD notice a difference, as HC800/250 and EA series are a LOT faster in that regard.

Logically, what he would/should have done is have the EA as both the server AND ZAPCoordinator, and use the 300 as a secondary ZAP....

I doubt he set it as just a ZigBee server - assuming he knows what he's doing the EA is the SERVER, he may have set the 300 as a ZAP coordinator though. That would still be rather silly. Because you actually WOULD notice a difference, as HC800/250 and EA series are a LOT faster in that regard.

Logically, what he would/should have done is have the EA as both the server AND ZAPCoordinator, and use the 300 as a secondary ZAP....

Agreed

23 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I actually watched him do it and I think from the limited knowledge I have of Zigbee, the idea was to use the HC300 to extend the range of the zigbee mesh if that sounds correct.  So, if that is the case, would this addition in hopes of extending the Zigbee range be limited in speed response since it's an HC300?  I wish I had a screen shot of where he did that in Pro programming.

Well, technically speaking Control4 recommends the Zserver to be a controller not located in the rack, so he did do the right thing, however you'll absolutely get better performance from the EA5. 

or if it's just running your garage stuff that's static it could be it's own mesh if it's far enough away

Not putting it in a metal enclosed cabinet full of other electrical equipment is not a bad idea ;).

With ALL EA controllers now supporting that antennae (as does the 800) that more or less removes that problem. But it would never have affected Zserver as such, as that doesn't handle any radio traffic at all. ZAPco DOES however.

The whole point was also more or less nullified with 2.6 using HC250/800 and now EA controllers as you can have the ZAPco in the rack, and have any other ZAP(s) outside of it, no longer requiring them to be in ZigBee range like it used to be (this REQUIRES those ZAPs to be 250/800 or newer!).

Archived