C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Door Opener

beemer

Question

6 answers to this question

If you're building new, just run a CAT5 cable from your controller to where the garage door opener will be.  That way it doesn't matter what brand you change to anytime in the future.  I have the Chamberlain and there is a driver out there for it.  However, I have not integrated control just monitoring.

2 hours ago, sally said:

If you're building new, just run a CAT5 cable from your controller to where the garage door opener will be.  That way it doesn't matter what brand you change to anytime in the future.  I have the Chamberlain and there is a driver out there for it.  However, I have not integrated control just monitoring.

are you saying run the cat5/6  from controller to Garage Door Motor or Garage Door Opener switch

I got a chamberlain with MyQ built in and I'm using the free EDS garage door driver. I don't think there is a spot of cat cables on the opener, all wifi, but more cat cables never hurt.

Overall, MyQ is really nice

Really, you can get any garage door opener, as long as you have enough contacts/relays on your controller.  If you only have one garage door, pretty much any controller will do.  I have 3 independent garage doors, so I got a used HC500 and dedicated it to the garage (garage speakers, garage doors, etc).  Since you're building new, just have low voltage wiring run from the garage door itself (I prefer the top of the door, although most instructions for the sensors say to mount on the floor level) to the location where your controller will be.  Also have low voltage wiring run from the garage door motor to where your controller will be.  You don't really need wires run to the door opener (usually on your wall and wired independently to the garage door motor) unless it's more convenient to run wiring from there than from the motor itself.

For the wires you ran to the garage door, you'll want a door sensor.  I used these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GUSNQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They're cheap and very reliable.  I mounted mine just at the top of the garage door.

For the wires you ran to the motor, you wire those directly to the same screws on the motor that the wired opener switch wires to.  

On the other end, you wire the garage door sensor to the controller "contact" connection and the wires that go to the garage motor go to the controller "relay" connection.  With that setup, you can configure the built-in Garage Door driver and have both state monitoring (open/close) as well as direct control.  It's been working great for me that way.  The only hitch was that I was already using the relay on my main controller and since I had three doors I had to buy a controller with enough relay contacts to support all my garage doors.

I would recommend getting a Chamberlain with the MyQ functionality.  It is useful to have one that has a sensor that goes on the door so that you always know the state of the door.  You will also want to make sure that you have a decent wifi signal in the garage both for the opener and to future-proof yourself as future cars will be connected - and many cars already are.

Archived