C4 Forums | Control4

Presence/Arrival Sensor?

Joshua Pressnell

Question

So I've been wondering for a while how to detect when individual cars get home or leave the house.  Using IFTT and our phones poses problems, since we only know if the phone has arrived/departed and not in which car the phone is doing the traveling.  I found the SmartThings "arrival" sensor... but I don't want to have to put in a ST hub and get another driver just to get that feature.  It seems like something like this should be available for Control4.  Thoughts?

3 answers to this question

Not sure how to get around having another sensor in the car (if not using one's phone).  I've thought about this myself, and the most direct way seems to be putting one of those OBD adapter/trackers, like Automatic (I guess it could get a little $ depending on how many cars to track).  Some of them have IFTTT integration, and then use that to link w/ C4 (via Alan's driver).  Others will have to chime in on how quick it updates location status.

I actually *want* to have sensors in the car.  My hope was to get a deeper integration with Control4 via a direct driver using a ZigBee sensor or a sensor on my security system (Honeywell Vista).  I can wire those into the keyed 12v line and then we're good.  But I haven't found any such sensor.

Looking at the IFTT triggers for Automatic, it's not quite what I want.  Most of those OBD adapters only send triggers when the ignition state changes, not on an ongoing basis.  So I can determine if I turn the car on in the garage, or if I turn the car off at home, but I can't determine when a particular car arrives home.

Hmmm, sounds like a nice idea.  However, the cost of that SmartThings sensor and hub combined is likely less than a single C4-compatible Zigbee Pro sensor (though such a proximity sensor seems to not exist now).  I too would get said theoretical C4 proximity sensor if it existed (elegance in simplicity).  Other options include hard-wiring a usb charger into the car and 'permanently' concealing/charging a spare/cheap smartphone for  geofencing, vs. Bluetooth beacons.  Each option progressively less 'directly' connected, I guess. 

Archived