C4 Forums | Control4

Best to use C4 with new tv/native apps or not?

nickacs

Question

Hello everyone!

New forum user here :)  My family and I are building a new house and the local C4 dealer/AV dealer wants to have us buy a Sony x850D 65" tv for our upstairs media room.  We already signed with them to use C4 system with the univ remote.  

My question is while the tv looks nice, I've been exploring either going to a Samsung or LG OLED tv instead.  The rep that I've been dealing with said that's fine, but the C4 remote won't be able to control the native apps on any other brand of tv other than Sony.  So, it sounds like the C4 remote would still turn ANY brand tv on/off, volume, etc, but to use the native apps within the non-Sony tv, I'd have to use the actual tv brand remote or go via Roku route to get to the same apps.

So this kinda defeats the purpose I guess of using a single, C4 universal remote to control the tv and the native apps within it.

Does anyone have any experiences or thoughts on this? 

Thank you!

13 answers to this question

And for reliability you are better using a roku.

In a C4 environment it's best to think of the TV as a display panel, nothing more. Maybe speakers in a bedroom.

Make the source separate for reliability.

Depending on if you watch sports or movies more it would be a toss up between the LG OLED or the Sony

They're probably interested in their ease of installation.  SMHarman is spot on, separate the streaming to an independent device.  Also, msgreenf is absolutely 100% correct!  I'm not sure why anyone would want to pigeon hole themselves to offering just 1 brand of TV.

Typically there hasn't been good control of native apps in displays. The issue with using a Roku or such is adding more devices does also mean there is more to fail.  The IP control we have for LG TVs is second to none. The switching to Netflix from any other source on the TV is near instant.  Couple that with the other features we have added and even though our driver has a cost you get plenty in return.

The OLED from LG is pretty much the best picture on the market hands down. Nothing Sony has now comes close in picture quality. If you have the means to spend the money the additional cost for our driver would be negligible in the total sum. Not to mention its super simple to use and has tons of value add.

If your purchase timeline is anything beyond the next few weeks. Wait. If you are building and the timeline is into next year don't decide today what you will choose months from now. January everything new will get announced at CES.

Typically there hasn't been good control of native apps in displays. The issue with using a Roku or such is adding more devices does also mean there is more to fail.  The IP control we have for LG TVs is second to none. The switching to Netflix from any other source on the TV is near instant.  Couple that with the other features we have added and even though our driver has a cost you get plenty in return.

The OLED from LG is pretty much the best picture on the market hands down. Nothing Sony has now comes close in picture quality. If you have the means to spend the money the additional cost for our driver would be negligible in the total sum. Not to mention its super simple to use and has tons of value add.

If your purchase timeline is anything beyond the next few weeks. Wait. If you are building and the timeline is into next year don't decide today what you will choose months from now. January everything new will get announced at CES.

Though for sports the oled has a lower refresh and motion judder

11 hours ago, annex⁴ said:

Most of the emerging technology showcased at CES is usually months from release after the event announcement.  Doesn't matter what you buy now, there will always be bigger, better, cheaper, 6 months down the line.

1 hour ago, GT Slider said:

Most of the emerging technology showcased at CES is usually months from release after the event announcement.  Doesn't matter what you buy now, there will always be bigger, better, cheaper, 6 months down the line.

That is why I asked him when he is purchasing as he stated he is building a house. Makes no sense to decide what to buy today if he doesn't need now.

Not to mention a 65" is surely to small for his media room and buying something of higher quality may have zero benefit at the viewing distance the seating will likely be at. Few dealers provide proper seating distance vs screen size data. 

Netflix in my previous TV has worked for 5 years without issue. The LG has been flawless. Historically there hasn't been good integration options for TVs with built-in apps, that doesn't mean the apps don't work. I have yet to see a TV where Netflix stopped working after 1 year. I had more issues with my Apple TV then I ever did on all my TVs combined.

Netflix in my previous TV has worked for 5 years without issue. The LG has been flawless. Historically there hasn't been good integration options for TVs with built-in apps, that doesn't mean the apps don't work. I have yet to see a TV where Netflix stopped working after 1 year. I had more issues with my Apple TV then I ever did on all my TVs combined.

Netflix is normally the best behaved. It's the breadth of apps and frequency of updates on secondary apps that can impact the smart tvs. also who is coding them.

Netflix will update roku first. It has most customers on that. And Android / I apps.

Then roll through the TV apps.

Archived