C4 Forums | Control4

Changing navigator audio volume control to television

VideoDemon

I have added a sound bar to my television, and the bar allows you to control the volume using the television volume control - but I can't figure out how to make the volume control on the navigator control the TV rather than the receiver.

My receiver will send the audio to the TV through HDMI (rather than send it to the speakers hooked up the receiver).  But I still need to use a different remote to control the volume on the TV (which controls the volume on the sound bar).

There must be a way to tell the navigator volume buttons to send information to the TV rather than the receiver - but can't figure out how to do it.

I apologize for the late reply.

There are two options for you. The first is to prove that you can control the SoundBar from your tv. If it is being controlled by you tv remote, then the infrared signal is traveling from your tv remote directly to the SoundBar and the SoundBar has learned the button for V up and V dwn

If this is the case, then there is a slim chance that you can do what you want in the first place with out having to "split" the ir bud wire at your tv and connect a second bud directly to your sound bar.

To test this, let's start with HE.

In system monitoring, double click on your tv icon for that room and a window should pop-up with controls for your tv directly. Now try the power, volume up and down. If you can turn the tv on and off and set the volume on the tv that's good and expected. Crossing your fingers, hope that you are also controlling the sound bar at this point. If that is the case, then a quick edit to your backup file I can have it working the way you want.

If this is not the case, and you cannot control the SoundBar, do you see the volume change on your sound bar or does the volume indicator change on you tv only. Because if it is not in your tv there will be some hardware tweaks needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - it works the way that we hope.  When I pop up the remote in HE the way that you suggest, I can turn the TV on and off, and the volume of the soundbar is controlled by the "virtual" TV remote.   Both the sound bar and TV support ARC on the HDMI cable, and my understanding is that the audio volume is being controlled through the return channel on the HDMI cable.

Does that make sense?

Very close. It is not ARC as this is just the audio. But if the sound bar is connected via HDMI it will be the HDMI CEC which is a control standard allowing devices to be controlled via and HDMI.

This is good. You need pro to resolve your issue though. Two options. Contact your dealer and he can remote into you system or pm me your email and we can discuss a small donation and I will have you up and running tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived