C4 Forums | Control4

Update Trouble

Well, just about the worst thing that could happen to me with C4 just did. I was in the middle of updating 10 MTS's. I'm on a job site right now that uses DirecWay (satelite) for internet. For no good reason, it just crapped out on me, right in the middle of my update. It's still off and on, and will not allow me to re-connect to some of the non-updated devices. I had 10 MTS on my system manager screen before, now I have 3... 7 MTS's are either down, ruined, or need re-enabling (via Telnet i'm afraid)

Lesson learned: NEVER USE SATTELITE. Unfortunately there is no other choice where I am at, but cable is so much better. It may be because it's pretty cloudly, but this could end up taking a loong time to fix :(

Taylor,

We came out of the satellite industry with hundreds of satellite internet systems installed. DON'T TRUST THEM! They are fine for high speed web browsing when there is nothing else available but the residential systems just can't be trusted for commercial applications. They can drop connection for a hundred reasons.

Have you looked for wireless internet services in your area or considered cell phone with an external antenna?

Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, this house is way out in the middle of nowhere (Above Aspen,CO). Sat is the only way for high speed internet.

UPDATE:

I actually did get all but ONE of the MTS's to work. Major Telnetting, and VERY unreliable because the internet was STILL jacked up. I ended up having to send it telnet commands more than once, hoping that it would "catch" during active internet.

The commands I had to use to updat it via Telnet were there

apt-get update (that downloads the updates)

apt-get upgrade (that "upgrades"/installs the downloaded updates)

After fiddeling with that, most of the problems were fixed... *gulp* Such a pain for what should have been a simple job.

sysman update did work, but I think the problem was the internet connection. There were so many variables that went wrong during that time that it's hard to know which problems where what. Sysman update works on a WORKING MTS, with a WORKING internet connection. I finangled it so that the atp-get update/upgrade worked too, but I think that was more timing than anything.

I never set it up or decided to use it. Again, I'm just a tech:) I get stuck using the bad stuff. Hell, if it were my choice, I'd stick them with dialup! It's more reliable than that... All Ican say is that I will never live somewhere where the internet isn't fast :D

Archived