C4 Forums | Control4

Latest Router recommendation???

C4Newbie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been using the DIR-655 for a few installs and they initially worked fine. Eventually we started noticing issues with HC-300 Stability. I am not a super network tech but if I notice an issue with a device and C4 backs those issues up....I'll side with them. We set all of our projects to static IPs....and yet we had MTS drop offs, HC-300s falling off. Matt tests the tar out of stuff for all of the little things that only C4 would know to look for and if they offer a model....I would strongly do it. Yes the 4400n is spendy but the best ibuprofen I could buy. Sadly I have relented to a few clients and within a year they have gladly had me upgrade their equipment. Fewer IPs on the network may let problematic routers work well enough. Another way to look at it would be to review routers based on gamers' requirements....they are a picky crowd and will tell you why they have to have a certain product and will gladly upgrade to keep up with the progression.

Control4 used to recommend that setup for stability reasons. Now that they can set static ips to all devices, that isn't necessary. One issue you'll have is using Composer Media Edition from your computer which will be on a different subnet. The 4400n is a gigabit router. The packets of information for control4 are built to be efficient on a 10/100 network. Add a good switch and get back to enjoying your gear.

My dealer is pretty adamant about having the two on separate networks, should I try to convince him otherwise?

Also, what exactly is Composer Media Edition? All I currently know about is Composer Pro & Composer HE. Is media edition something that comes with the C4 system?

I also have 11 PoE devices, so my plan was to have the central Wireless N router with 4 wired ports. 1 port to an FS116P and 1 port to an FS108P. If I dont have separate wireless routers for home/C4 then I also have to connect the following:

1 NAS (Netgear NV+)

2 D-Link DGS2208 switches (I would have gone with a 16 port switch but got each of these for under $20)

I guess the best thing would be to connect the D-Links to the wrvs4400n and the NAS to one of the D-links, but I had hoped to have the NAS connected to the central hub (wrvs4400n).

Although, I guess if I am using the same network for everything then I could even do without one of the DGS2208s, maybe both, as the FS116P & FS108P have a total of 12 non-PoE ethernet ports.

1st: Don't pay any attention to what reviews say online. Remember there are a lot of "un-knowledgable" people trying to set things up themselves and get overwhelmed, then give bad reviews because they couldn't make it work.

2nd: Buy a Linksys RV042 wired router and a seperate AP like Linksys WAP4400N. Best stable combination out there, IMHO.

AKG4Y - reviews for ANY product seem to be terrible - you really can't go on the online reviews - as remember the rule of thumb: if someone loves it, they'll tell 2 people - if someone hates it, they'll tell 20+!!!

In the case of networking gear - most people have NO CLUE AT ALL on how to properly set it up - thus they get upset when it doesn't work and automatically jump to the conclusion that it's the device.

Now as for the DD-WRT firmware - few problems.

1) It's beta, not released.

2) It's made by a bunch of people (and anyone can have access to the code).

3) that also means hackers!!! You want someone to quickly come in via a backdoor - let the code sit out free on the internet... why do you think LINUX is the #1 most hacked OS out there (didn't know that - did ya? Most people think it's Windows, as it gets the most press - that would be a HUGE error - now PLEASE don't turn this into anything more than what I just said - I'm not bashing Linux at all!!!).

4) Again goes back to that most people don't know how to use it - so the most common setting people do right away is turn the signal strength up to max... and within a few months to a year, they burn out the wireless gear.

Let me summarize it like this: Do you really want to to spend $25,000 and have it run by a $35 piece of hardware? Why not spend $300 (which is still cheap compared to what a true router costs) and have it do much of the same functionality as the DD-WRT - but also have a company back it up - and also NOT burn it out / void the warranty? It would be like having the kid down the block supercharge your Porch 911 engine, because he thinks he can save you a few bucks. DO you REALLY want to do that? I realize you are all hobbyists here and are trying to find ways to save a buck - but this is NOT one of those areas... your NETWORK is the #1 largest problem with ANY automation system! Stop trying to save a buck here and keep it reliable!! You'll love the results in the end!!!

We have been using the DIR-655 for a few installs and they initially worked fine. Eventually we started noticing issues with HC-300 Stability.

It's the D-Link - we used them for a while too - then they went to a new firmware and totally screwed up... we've since dropped them for the Linksys (about a year ago).

Yup! :)

We've still got some out in the field that had no problems either... it was the new firmware that messed a lot of things up. HOWEVER - we did have one house where I could not get the wireless working correctly no matter what we tried... switched that out later (months later) to a Linksys WRVS4400N and problem went away... never did get back to troubleshooting it... it's one of those if you can find a quick fix that didn't cost a HUGE amount of money - do it vs. spending hours and hours troubleshooting (and wasting money). :)

Im going to go with the WRVS4400N, thanks guys.

What about FIOS? Has anyone had any experience using their router, along with FIOS TV? Ive been doing some research and the FIOS router seems like a pain in the arse when it comes to using another router instead. Here's the only solution Ive found, and it doesnt appear to work for everyone:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20006536-Make-your-actiontec-a-bridge-with-VOD-working-with-REV-D

Yeah - be very careful - we've had a lot of problems with Verizon's routers in general (DSL and the FIOS - both use the same feature sets in their routers) - every single time we've put our router in and turned the Verizon into a bridge to that router - and it solves 99.9% of all problems we've run into.

I'm using LinkSys WRVS4400N... I tried the DLink DIR-655 but had some issues....

I would highly suggest a UPS & Power Conditioner... I went through 3 months of pain and troublshooting why my system wasn't working properly (see my post under Troubleshooting, Workarounds, & Bugs » HC-300 Locking-up when accessing digital Music from a DLink DNS-323......) it turns out that power fluctuations were upsetting the router which controls the network.... your netwotk is the most critical part of your system....

Good Luck & enjoy :cool:

• 1 year later...

Archived