C4 Forums | Control4

speaker angle opinions

Do you mean the entire speaker (box), or just the woofer itself? Sonance allows you to direct the tweeter/woofer in any direction (to an extent). While we do this, I personally haven't noticed much of a difference.

To clarify, when speakers are mounted on the wall - do you mount them straight (perpendicular to the wall) or angle them to the listening position (say the middle of the room on the couch).

We purchase angled speakers ( EXAMPLE http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/tc60i/ ) for in-ceiling rears but otherwise, if we are able to place the speaker in the proper spot (3' or so above ear level when sitting), we don't angle. If we are forced high and into the corners with surface mount speakers then we will angle. We do this to avoid reflecting the sound off of the wall and ceiling. A good rule of thumb is to keep the speaker at least 2' away from the wall or ceiling if possible.

For rooms with a pair of speakers that are for a distributed audio zone, we don't worry about the woofer but we do angle the tweeter towards the middle of the room. If it's a "big" room and important for lots of sound without having to cranck it we put in 2 pairs of speakers.

For home theater and we have to use ceiling speakers we try to use the kind that have baffles where the woofer is already on a 15 degree angle or so allowing you to "point" that woofer a little more towards the sweet spot. I'm a big fan of TruAudio but I know Polk, Sonance, and I think Speaker Craft all have similar models.

I use TruAudio as well... I love their product. Like Chambrick I use a lot of the speakers (TruAudio Revolve series) that have the woofer on a 15 degree angle and a swivel bridge for the LCR's. I don't typically do a home theater with out of wall speakers. I do have one home theater that the install didn't allow for in-walls so in that one the speakers are angled toward the center of the room, but I am sure they tweak it as they see fit.

Blake

Archived