C4 Forums | Control4

How to Copy a Script

James Seilbach

Is there anyway to copy a script, or a series of commands from one keypad button, to another. Right now I have been just rebuilding them from scratch when I want to change the buttons around. Seems like there should be an easy way to copy the script from one keypad button, and then paste it into another.

Thanks!

There currently is no way to do it - but it's a feature I've been asking for forever. PLUS - I wanted a way in Composer for it to give me a summary of all the programming / scripts. That 2nd feature alone comes in handy when you're trying to figure out why the lights in the basement keep going off at what appears random times on people. But find out that it was an accidental event someone triggered for a bathroom timer to turn those lights off after 30 minutes etc... when there are no programming on the basement lights themselves, it can get to a a large / tedious process to trace back and find WHAT is calling that device into action. :(

There may be a hacky way to display all programming. I'm still working on it, though.

Here's what I got so far -- I figured that all the programming info must be stored on the MC somewhere. So I logged into it, and started looking for the right file(s). I found a file /etc/DirectorState.xml which had a timestamp of my last tweak via Composer.

So I pulled it onto my Mac and loaded it up into an XML editor. The file is large, but it looks to contain all the project information is there. I'm going to try and write an XSL stylesheet to transform it to something readable.

Stay tuned...

Max

Max, what are you thinking, don't you know you shouldn't solve problems like this?

Ya! What are you thinking? You can't do that sort of thing! ;-) That would be sacrilege and unconventional!!! :D

Keep up the good work! Glad to see someone taking the initiative on this! My linux skills are limited. I haven't touched linux in about 6 years... so I am not certain that I would be able to do anything without breaking it! :)

You're not kidding - I hated Linux - fought it all the way (and I've owned TWO ISPs / ASPs in the past) - got myself MCSE certified and still am forced to learn Linux - one of these days I'll find the time... LOL

Archived