C4 Forums | Control4

Distributed Televison

dburton

When you say cables don't matter, I'm guessing you mean you are able to run any necessary cable.

ChannelVision makes channel modulators that will take a video input and modulate or change the channel to something you can distribute through your home. Depending on your outside video source (cable, dish, etc...) you may need to get a filter to free up the channel you want to use for each source.

I didn't see any HD modulators - the feed would be coax.

I've been watching for HD RF modulators very closely - nothing yet... but we do use RF modulators already (coax) and it works great! You simple create your own TV station like the cable company does.

I'm gettin' pretty close to trying a whole house without any coax...only Cat5/6. ...then using the products out there for A/V, IR, etc. all via Cat5. I mean come on HDMI via Cat5 why pay hundreds for an HDMI cable when you could send it for so much cheaper. I'm hoping that by the end of '06 I'll have done a home with virtually no coax, but that may still be a pipe dream.

Every TV I prewire for gets at least 2 Cat5/6 wires.

I was hoping to wire a house this year without coax too, but I'm afraid that the people won't understand the concept of a house "without cable". It's surprising how many people don't understand that basically everything can be converted to a different wire somehow. Sending HDMI over cat 5/6 will be pretty cool.

Blake

I'm gettin' pretty close to trying a whole house without any coax...only Cat5/6. ...then using the products out there for A/V, IR, etc. all via Cat5. I mean come on HDMI via Cat5 why pay hundreds for an HDMI cable when you could send it for so much cheaper. I'm hoping that by the end of '06 I'll have done a home with virtually no coax, but that may still be a pipe dream.

Every TV I prewire for gets at least 2 Cat5/6 wires.

i like the dream. i can see it now ...

cat5 red = video

cat5 blue = lan

cat5 white = communication

cat5 yellow = audio

cat5 purple = rotating photo albums on a NAS of the artist formely and currently known as Prince but once referred to something .... ahhh, nevermind

Sorry, but why on earth would you use modulators on purpose? I would have to think in a new house you would want high-def? Modulators, I get people have used them for years, but they are really the past. Choose, cat5 or mini-coax and get a matrix switch. Unfortunately HDCP will stop DVI/HDMI matrix switchers for awhile, so component is best you can do. For cat5, if you do two runs to each location you can use AudioAuthority matrix when it ships (it is sweet!).

Curt

Curt - we use modulators in RETRO FIT enviornments AND where HD is not a source... running new wires in an old house can very often be quite a job (we do it already). In this case it's awesome! For HDTV - yes you need a switcher and CAT5 or something else OTHER then coax / RF. That's why I said before (other links) I wished they'd come out with a HDTV modulator - don't know why they haven't yet - as that is how it's transmitted natively (think Antenna on the roof or cable company). ATSC tuners are much more common now - so it would be nice to see an ATSC modulator for HDTV programming - it would be cheaper then running new wires in a house for sure!

Archived