C4 Forums | Control4

Handheld remote locks up with on-screen navigator

When creating a streaming music session with the on screen navigator and the handheld remote, the navigator fails to respond after returning to the "now playing" screen. It is then not possible to set "shuffle" or "repeat" or do anything else. The navigator will not respond to the arrow keys or enter. Powering off the room and starting over clears the lock up, but it will happen everytime. Further, pressing the C4 button on the remote stops the music and returns you the home screen for you to start again, with the same results.

Work around: After the navigator locks up, use the remote to access the music menu on the handheld. You can then set the options that you want.

Severity: It looks really tawdry to the customer. Anytime the entire interface locks up in mid session it is embarassing.

This happens on HTCs and remotes that are at the current revision. This does not happen when using the 10.5 LCD.

Any ideas?

Give it a few minutes - does this all the time with our setup and large play lists - but I think it's because it's processing information. If you give it 60 seconds or so - it comes back and then you can select shuffle etc... hope this gets better with future releases.

Ah Ha - This is from PremierHT on the C4 forum:

"Okay guys, back on topic.

I was having the same problem on my lab system and finally got some time to test it.

If you forget, the problem is that while playing music, the navigator program freezes on the now playing window. It started happening with the new SW/FW upgrade of a few weeks ago.

So I was at the cleints house last week and fixed it as described above. When audio and video go through the same device (IE a receiver switches both video and audio), if you dont use the same input then it happens. As soon as you put both the audio and video on the same input, it goes away.

So in my lab here, we have all audio and video running through a fujitsu plasma using the internal amp for sound. So obviously all volume is done at the TV. If you dont know, the Fujitsu has flexible A/V inputs where the video inputs are not tied to the stereo audio inputs. So you go through the menu and assign the audio input to the video input. Here's were it gets tricky.

The driver from the database as well as the trial ones I have made all had the stereo audio inputs separate from the video inputs in the input/ouput portion of the driver.

So getting desperate tonight I created a new driver and put the three audio inputs in the same input with the video inputs in the input/output section of the driver wizard. So I knew which input Audio Input 1-3 goes to and put them with the corresponding video input. Now there are no separate audio inputs.

As soon as I did this, the problem went away.

Obviously this is a bug with the new software revision. I trust Jim and the crew will treat this as a bug and put it on the list."

I had a problem similar to this recently, where the navigator screen would not respond to my system remote once music started playing even though i could control the function like play, pause, skip forward, skip back, etc. I had to press the 4 button to get any control of the navigator back. This was due to my setting my endpoints wrong. I had my Video, Audio and Video's Audio endpoint for the room set to my TV. the Audio endpoint should have been set to my HTC. I had gotten confident with programming and was doing pretty much everything manually outside of the wizards. Once I changed the Audio endpoint to the HTC, voila.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I tried setting the audio endpoint to the HTC (it was the receiver) and it worked! The menus continued to work and streaming music continues when the control4 navigation screen is brought up - BUT - the system won't turn on or off the receiver when I select streaming music! In other words, with the room off, selecting an existing music session via handheld via "join session" should turn on the receiver and begin streaming data via the HTC. The data light on the HTC comes on, but the IR commands to the receiver are not emitted. If you turn on the receiver manually, the music selected is playing. SO I guess that by switching the endpoints, the system no longer thinks the receiver is necessary to play streaming music. I set the endpoint back to the receiver, and it corrects this situation. However, I am back to the original issue, which is the menus apparently locking up and the streaming audio stopping. I understand now that the system has stopped listening to the remote commands for the HTC when that happens and not truly locking up, but the result is the same. Any ideas?

Archived