C4 Forums | Control4

Backlight color choices on keypads and switches

DLite

Hi,

I'm wondering what the best choices are for backlight color on keypads and switches.  I'm primarily concerned about how easy they are to read, with aesthetic considerations a secondary factor.  Are there any recommendations for popular or time tested color choices?  My switches and faceplates are white, in case it matters.

Thanks!

Control4 has spent lots of time and money researching and the default blue was deemed to be the best color. However I have found that the white back light looks nice and is also easy to ready. I have also used yellow for my black keypads. I also use red to indicating security arm or garage door is open.

Also control4 has new LARGE format text engraving as well now.

It depends in part on the colour of your keypads...

I normally use white during the day and yellow or orange at night... A very dim orange works well in bedrooms at night... I use yellow in the rest of the house at night.  I do also have an experience button that allows my kids to change all the backlight colour settings (upstairs, downstairs, day and night separately).  I've given them access to blue, red, pink, green, teal, white, yellow and orange... but we tend to stick with my default colors of yellow, white and orange!

21 hours ago, DLite said:

Thanks, those are nice ideas.  Do you just use the standard C4 custom experience button for changing backlight colors?

Yes, it is quite a cool experience button for this sort of thing as you can choose which colors to allow and have it toggle through these.  As I recall (I programmed this when the Experience buttons were first launched 6 or 7 months back, so this may have changed), you cannot have the off option removed, only colours you don't want, so I programmed it to change to white when off is selected as a work around for this.  

I use 4 of the Experience Buttons... one for daytime upstairs, one for daytime downstairs, one for night time upstairs and one for night time downstairs...

• 2 years later...

How does one adjust the backlighting for changes with ambient light in the room?  I've been adjusting my settings again and now the lights keep going completely dark.  Every time I try to change back to previous settings,  (custom) it reverts to the setting just above it (which causes the backlighting to go completely dark).  I have yet to find a source that explains the backlight and status LED settings for the new keypads.  Does anyone have any info on how to adjust these and what the adjustments mean?

LEDs.jpg

I have playing with the settings as well here recently as I am just now figured out how to activate those thanks to @ILoveC4.  I would agree and say to start with the suggested Backlight LED max and min above and then make any adjustments to suit your needs.  I now have the max at 180 and min at 75 and that seems to be working well for my taste.  It is somewhat challenging that some lights require this setting and others do not based on a multitude of factors (proximity to other sources of light in the room).  I even saw @ILoveC4 comment on another post that having two C4 light switches stacked side by side can produce various ambient results between the two which would be even more frustrating. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.