C4 Forums | Control4

A truly general question on xbmc

jbs

Guess I need an Australian dealer :)

I have a general supportability question. Will dealers (US and otherwise) feel comfortable installing XBMC systems in their clients homes? Remote support of XBMC devices is probably a little more challenging, plus the dealer would also need to be a linux|mac|osx expert to troubleshoot and support these systems. I would see the Netgear and potential C4 branded media player being a much more managable solution. The C4 product because it would probably have good central troubleshooting capabilites and the Netgear because the support model is more straight forward (if its broken call Netgear).

My thinking is that the people who would most want the XBMC model are also the ones who also want ComposerPro. :)

(I hope people find these types of questions/comments constructive)

I agree with you on this one. This solution is not for everyone. As i said it started off as something i did for myself and i have offered it as an alternative to the eva8000. Most dealers will probably not go for this solution due to the support involved. The only dealers i foresee using this are dealers who have already been using windows media center or other pc based media center software.

I personally wouldn't recommend any 'homebrew' solution (MythTV / SageTV / XBMC / Media Center PC) for dealers to install in end-users homes, unless the end user is:

1) tech saavy

2) already has the device in question.

That said, if an end user wanted it bad enough and I were a dealer, I would likely do it after making them sign something to the effect that they understand that homebrew-type devices like this have no official means of support and the dealer is not responsible for a warranty on it.

It's just a liability issue, I would think.

If the dealer wants to 'productize' the offering, that is, use their own hardware and XBMC and/or something else, and then stand behind the device with service as an offering of their company, that would be another alternative, although licensing for some of these products would not allow selling the product itself.

RyanE

XBMC is not allowed to be sold however the hardware, installation and servicing is.

Anyway guys i gotta do some real work. Thanks for the support.

I think most of our 'major' announcements are typically around CEDIA timeframe, mainly because that's still our target market (the CEDIA dealer channel), and Control4 makes a much bigger 'splash' announcing at CEDIA than if they were to announce at CES.

Besides, we still have to *deliver* all the things we showed at CEDIA. Probably be a good idea to deliver the products we've already announced before announcing a ton of new ones.

:)

RyanE

I think most of our 'major' announcements are typically around CEDIA timeframe, mainly because that's still our target market (the CEDIA dealer channel), and Control4 makes a much bigger 'splash' announcing at CEDIA than if they were to announce at CES.

Besides, we still have to *deliver* all the things we showed at CEDIA. Probably be a good idea to deliver the products we've already announced before announcing a ton of new ones.

:)

RyanE

Just as long as CEDIA doesnt come and go with you guys saying, "Yeah, well this year we're shipping now all the stuff from last year's show announcement, so we aren't announcing anything new.":P

Can anybody explain to me why all these video servers (and C4 controllers for that matter) only support 10/100 ethernet and not Gigiabit speeds....or doesn't it make any difference (cause these along with xbmc are only "controlling" the playing of the file, not actually streaming it)

Please correct me, but I though gigabit speed was essential for multiroom video distribution...

Is it a fair statement that as long as the video files is streaming off a gigabit supported NAS or computer via gigabit switches down cat6 cable that the servers ethernet limitations don't matter and you'll get gigbit video speeds (without jumping etc)...or should I wait for a video server with gigabit support as well.......?

Depends on what you're looking at for Video Servers... if you're thinking the Netgear 8000 (or 9000) - it'll only stream to one room - and 10/100 - even for HD - is fine. Now the NAS should be 1000 if you're going to have multiple servers streaming from it - but each room that you want to be able to stream to at the same time, must has it's own "SERVER" - and that box doesn't make a difference if it's 10/100 - as it won't use that much to pull from the NAS.

100mbit on the player side is sufficient for any content, for now. 100mbit on the server side is sufficient for 1 or 2 streams depending on VBR.

1000mbit gets me smooth playback of 3 different DVDs (SD) simultaneously off a Infrant ReadyNAS on Media Center PCs (My Movies plugin & TheaterTek player), things get dicey after that point. XBMC players should be no different on DVD content, I don't know though what kind of caching, if any, XBMC performs on IFO/VOB/ISOs.

Either way, 100mbit should get you fine playback on 1 client/zone but given the low pricing of GigE devices there's no reason not to go GigE wherever possible nowadays.

• 5 months later...

Anyone have thoughts on going with Netgear eva9150 or an xbmc computer? Either way,i will have a pc with mass storage hooked up to c4 so not sure what one is better for me. Im techie enough for the xbmc, but not broke where i can aford simplicity to buy an eva9150. Any pros or cons? Seems like xbmc does everything that the eva9150 does. Am i wrong? Thanks for the help.

Xmbc can do more than the 9150. the new driver will tune Internet radio stations upon release. However like you said you have to be techie to use xbmc where the 9150 could be used with no maintenace from the user.

Here is a proof of concept video i did last month on internet tv/radio.

The new driver will be available for purchase shortly. Note this is not a Control4AU product. It is something i myself am doing out of hours.

To give you a rundown it will allow unlimited user configurable internet TV and Radio stations via XBMC distributed around your house. The new version has some bug fixes that fixes some major issues which cause the system to lock up.

Here is a proof of concept video i did last month on internet tv/radio.

The new driver will be available for purchase shortly. Note this is not a Control4AU product. It is something i myself am doing out of hours.

To give you a rundown it will allow unlimited user configurable internet TV and Radio stations via XBMC distributed around your house. The new version has some bug fixes that fixes some major issues which cause the system to lock up.

Nice work Alan, any idea what price point you're lookin at?

I dont know.. I havent set it up yet my dealer said he has just been messing with it in his showroom and hasnt gotten it functional yet. Once my system is setup hopefully Ill have more info.

Pricing is yet to be determined. Will need to do the math after i complete the project. Boxee. Not sure.. never used it. XBMC driver will work on all platforms though on some platforms (eg appletv) you need to change the port from 80 to something else.

Archived