C4 Forums | Control4

SR260 Colored and Custom Button Programming

GSC4Home

I wanted to find out what everyone else does, or what best practices are, for using one SR260 remote in different rooms.  I have one SR260 and use it in the main living areas of my house (Kitchen, Family Room, Lounge, Game Room, Lanai).  I want to program the colored and custom buttons to perform different functions in the different rooms.  I have lighting scenes already and it would be pretty easy to say Custom Button 1 activates lighting scene X.  But where lighting scenes aren't used, do people typically create macros named things like "RemoteFamilyButton1", "RemoteFamilyButtonRed", etc? Then write the code for each macro?  This seems like a tremendous amount of work upfront, but maybe give some flexibility in the programming where one macro could launch another.  Not sure what method makes sense - Macros, or writing the code in each button function in each room.  I hate to write code more than once.  I've created 115 or so lighting scenes.  Now if I want to invoke a particular scene, I can just call it from a button press or other event.  If I need to change something about the scene like a button color, I only have to do that in one place.

Both!

Macros - in cases where you have more than one remote in more than one room and want to use the same code for some buttons on more than one remote...

For instance, I have custom button 1 local to each room activating a lighting scene in that room and have not used a macro for this.

While I have the red button (if pressed 3 times in quick succession) sending a panic signal to armed response.  This is generic to all rooms and done via a macro.

If unsure, err on the side of using a macro...

Archived