C4 Forums | Control4

Too bad the C4 face plates won't work on non-C4 switches

dburton

I have a customer where we are installing 62 C4 switches/dimmers/keypads. But, they have some other switches (like closets, etc) that are not C4. Plus, some of the C4 switches are paired with turn type fan switches.

I wish that you could install the C4 wall plates onto them. That way all the switches/dimmers/keypads would have the same screwless face plate.

The black plastic insert fits the non-C4, but the plastic rods on the faceplate hit metal on the non-C4 switch. I've tried drilling holes in the non-C4 switch, but it just doesn't work well. The ones I've been working with are Leviton.

Has anyone done this successfully?

I like new decora line from copper lightning (available from Lowes) - looks much better than C4, but i thing you need Cooper switch to take the plastic off and put it on C4 for it to accept Copper lightning screw-less cover.

We have run into this on occasion. We had a 4 gang plate with 2 C4 switches and 2 Leviton fan switches. We cut off the white tabs on the back of the C4 plate that went into the fan switches and used a dab of adhesive where necessary. Keeps it rock solid and able to remove if need be.

We just use Leviton screwless Decora plates in a "mixed marriage" of switches. They work better than C4 plates anyway, look like them, and are compatible.

Those little C4 posts just aren't a very good way to keep them secured.

I tried using a C4 face plate on a Leviton switch. The switch rocker panel doesn't stick out far enough through the face plate. If you measure the distance the C4 switch rocker panel sticks out from the metal, it's further than a regular Leviton switch.

Archived