C4 Forums | Control4

Speaker level settings

eggzlot

So what's recommended for volume on speaker settings?  The c4 amp has that little dial on the back to increase output, you have room volume plus the volume on the source itself?

is it best to say keep that c4 knob about half turned then adjust volume locally?

my original installer messed things up and it was always super low so I had to jack up room volumes.  I rewired most of my rack and can now reach the amp.  I moved those knobs up and now it's all too loud as a starting point.  But I also don't think keeping my patio at 80% to hear anything was wise  

So what's best practice?  Keep knobs high and room volume low or lower knobs and increase starting room volume?   I'm talking about ceiling speakers in non critical areas like patio, kitchen etc 

thanks!

First, you need to start with proper gain structure.  This means you want all audio sources to be at their highest dB output, without clipping the signal.

I'm assuming you have an audio matrix, since you reference dumb amps.  You would then equalize all audio inputs to be at the same perceived loudness.

Then I always set amps to halfway gain, test using a SPL meter to 70 dB-C weighted in each room, jot down levels.  If there are large differences between adjacent zones, then adjust amp gain knob to accommodate.

The dials at the back serve the same purpose as  "tuning" a car.  You want to set it to the max amplification at 100% volume without hearing distortion or blowing your speakers.  Use the best quality source music you can

56 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

the higher the gain knob the more amplification of distortion and sound stage (hissing with no signal) so you want them as low as possible within the average of other zones 

41 minutes ago, dcovach said:

The dials at the back serve the same purpose as  "tuning" a car.  You want to set it to the max amplification at 100% volume without hearing distortion or blowing your speakers.  Use the best quality source music you can

Somewhere between these two actually, note that the higher the volume knob is, the less the 'range' on the low end will be. In other words you may drop from still too loud at night to no sound.

As per lippavisual, start in the middle, test a few sources - if it can go as low as you want it and as high as you want it, you can potentially play with the levels to adjust settings per output (ie match different speakers/rooms to similar volume). After that you leave those alone. Personally I start at about 2/3 for these.

Archived