C4 Forums | Control4

What NAS are you using?

tebery

I have had a Buffalo Linkstation Live 500gb for about a year. Last week the drive when out. So I am looking for a new one. I really liked the Linkstation, but I am looking at one with a mirrored drive. Any recomendations?

Thanks!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're looking for a NAS, the only one to look at is the Netgear Ready NAS. Depending on your storage requirements they offer several models (attached is a comparison chart). The Duo is typically most suitable for a SOHO installation. The support is great and they have a very acitve user and developer forum. There are plugins that run on top of it (it has a linux OS) that support upnp, ftp, rsync, http, bittorrent, squeeze center, and itunes streaming. In addition there's a bunch of community developed plugins too.

Any questions post'em here and I'll try and answer them for you.

I have the ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 750GB drives in it. Its awesome. Mine was in a batch that had bad power supplies and eventually died (like 2-3 years after purchase)... called up Netgear support, had a 10 minute conversation and the new powersupply was at my door 2 days later.

Thanks for the info. Where did you get the Netgear Ready NAS? I will look at newegg and pcconnection.

A second part to my original question:

A year and a half ago I used a program called, Easy CD-DA Extractor to rip my 1000+ CD's. What are you using?

Thanks

tebery

Still another question:

When I get a new NAS can I delete the old NAS and add the new NAS, or is that a Comp. Pro only feature.

On that same note, I have 6 wireless outlet switches I used for Christmas lights. Can you move them to different rooms with HE or Pro only?

Thanks

Just remember, the 1.5TB HDs are not officially certified yet for ReadyNAS yet although there's been a couple of success stories with them (combination of right firmware and luck), a bit more patience...if only Seagate could get their act together on this one.

The ReadyNAS is also a RAID5 device with hot swappable drives, ie if one drive dies you just pop that out and put in a new one that is the same size or bigger and it automatically repopulates. If you eventually swap out all of your drives to larger ones then it makes the larger amount of space available. I read some reviews on the Buffalo and decided against it.. might want to consider an HP Mediasmart server if you just need storage on a network.

Nope, the ReadyNAS is NOT using RAID5 by default, but rather XRAID. Different way of populating parity and data especially when transitioning from a 3-drive to a 4-drive system. A ReadyNAS in RAID5 mode is actually not expandable drive-wise unless it's fully populated. So, leave it alone in XRAID mode and all the expansion goodies are there for you.

Archived