C4 Forums | Control4

What NAS are you using?

tebery

What do you guys think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Netgear-ReadyNAS-Duo-NAS-1TB-500GB-x-2-New_W0QQitemZ270328647565QQihZ017QQcategoryZ106273QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I need to get one of these, but I don't know a ton about them. I am getting one so when the EVA9000 hits I can start ripping BlueRays to the NAS. I think they are about 25 gigs per movie, correct? Unless a reasonably priced BlueRay changer comes down the pipe between now and March or April it looks like a big NAS and the EVA9000 are the way to go.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your looking at 2 1tb drives right now. Mirrored, that gives you 1tb usable. The Seagate 1.5tb drives have had firmware problems (locking up, etc). Until hey get them stabilized I would not recommend them. At that time, you can pick up a pair and swap them in one at a time, the duo will resync the swapped in driver over a matter of hours and you can then swap the second 1.5tb drive in to complete your upgrade. No settings to mess with. XRAID handles it for you.

If you need more than 1tb usable(or 1.5tb in the not so distant future), you'll be stepping up to the ReadyNAS NV+.

They're fantastic boxes. Great support and like I said before have a very active user forum with a number of add-in's, like dyndns support, etc.

Your looking at 2 1tb drives right now. Mirrored, that gives you 1tb usable. The Seagate 1.5tb drives have had firmware problems (locking up, etc). Until hey get them stabilized I would not recommend them. At that time, you can pick up a pair and swap them in one at a time, the duo will resync the swapped in driver over a matter of hours and you can then swap the second 1.5tb drive in to complete your upgrade. No settings to mess with. XRAID handles it for you.

If you need more than 1tb usable(or 1.5tb in the not so distant future), you'll be stepping up to the ReadyNAS NV+.

They're fantastic boxes. Great support and like I said before have a very active user forum with a number of add-in's, like dyndns support, etc.

I will do more research on this. Ultimately I would like several TB available. I believe BlueRay movies are about 25 gigs, correct?

That means 40 BlueRays discs would use roughly 1TB. I think initially I would like to have 2 or 3 TB available, but would like to be able to expand that as high as 6 TB or so?

Is the ReadyNAS NV+ what you would recommend?

I just ordered a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ w/ 2 500gig drives to replace my dead buffalo. For now going to use it for music only, since I have 2 777's that are working fine. I will definately get the new Netgear EVA unit.

Also, I have read in past threads about drives larger than 1TB are not very stable. Is this a hard drive issue or a C4 issue?

thanks

I just ordered a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ w/ 2 500gig drives to replace my dead buffalo. For now going to use it for music only, since I have 2 777's that are working fine. I will definately get the new Netgear EVA unit.

Also, I have read in past threads about drives larger than 1TB are not very stable. Is this a hard drive issue or a C4 issue?

thanks

Do you mind sharing where you purchased it and what you paid?

Was is the difference between the ReadyNAS and ReadyNAS NV+?

• 2 weeks later...

So my terastation is full, and while I was looking at upgrading the drives I hear a lot of chatter about the readyNAS. The Pro Pioneer edition sounds sweeet! Too bad it costs more than upgrading the drives in my terastation. Maybe I could sell my terastation to my father in law :)

I am personally using a Lacie 7.5 TB (yes 7.5 - 5 - 1.5TB drives) unit and I love it. Lacie tech support is terrible, but hey a NAS is not rocket science. I am running RAID 5 which gives me 5.5 TB free. I started with a 2TB Lacie running Raid 1 and returned it because you can eat up a TB real quick when you also consider other uses (ie backing up other PC's in the home, family photos, videos, music etc.).

Best thing of all is the price about $1300-$1500 (I got mine for $1300). You can also run Raid 6, Raid 1, Raid 10, etc. I'm not sure how paranoid I am regarding whether I anticipate 1 drive, 2 drives etc failing. The biggest issue out there in my opinion is fire or water. I am lucky enough to have a concrete garage under my garage and my simple solution was to run a ethernet cord from my switch and mount the drive on a shelf in the lower garage. If the place catches on fire or we have a pipe burst, I sort of have it in a concrete bunker (not sure if this would pass the definition of fireproof and floodproof but seems good to me).

Overall speed of this drive is marginal but it does the job on playback. I have successfully watched the same movie on two different streamers at the same time in 2 different positions and neither skipped. In my opinion that is all the speed I need! That then raises the issue of the network quality vs the NAS but that is a whole seperate discussion :)

I'm using 3 Infrant (Netgear) ReadyNAS 1000s all in XRAID mode.

I've only upgraded one of my Seagate 1TB drives to Seagate's ST31500341AS 1.5TB drives. The 1.5TB started off with Smart errors emailing me all the time, but hasn't had any errors in weeks now. I'm planning to get one of the Netgear EVA 9000 series media players.

Byron

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/07/drobo-gets-fire.html

From CNET re Drobo:

PRODUCT SUMMARY

The good: Protects your data automatically; easily expandable with SATA hard drives of any size; has both USB 2.0 and FireWire 800 interfaces; faster processor than the original Drobo; works with DroboShare.

The bad: Terrible performance; expensive; device proved to be finicky and required more than the occasional restart; eSATA and Ethernet connections still absent; no bundled backup software; takes a long time to restart; can't recover data without having another working Drobo.

The bottom line: The second-generation Drobo adds a FireWire 800 connection, but the direct-attached storage drive offers no improvement over the original USB-only Drobo and, in fact, may represent a step backward. We found throughput speeds to be very slow, and more shocking was the finicky nature of the device.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I was looking to revive this thread since I want buy a NAS now that I have my EVA9000, and I don't want to make a mistake buying a NAS. I'm leaning towards the Netgear stuff because of reputation and performance, but the cost seems high compared to LaCie and Drobo.

Any more thoughts?

The ReadyNAS NV+ is still the way to go. If you consider it too expensive, try to purchase an empty one and add drives as you can afford them. No need to pay Netgear an extra premium for the drives, you can buy them yourself for less $$. Just make sure you're buying drives that are listed in their compatibility list.

And BTW, the ReadyNAS has excellent support, not because of Netgear, because of the original Infrant crew that created the product, excellent guys to work with. They've ssh'ed into my units at home in the middle of the night to recover my data (sometimes running beta software has disadvantages...) and that's with the units being out of warranty, like I said, great support!

Hello all,

I was looking to revive this thread since I want buy a NAS now that I have my EVA9000, and I don't want to make a mistake buying a NAS. I'm leaning towards the Netgear stuff because of reputation and performance, but the cost seems high compared to LaCie and Drobo.

Any more thoughts?

My vote is for drobo/droboshare. I like it very much. I replaced a NAS with the drobo/droboshare because of more capacity and data protection.

I hope they work for you. I had some 1.5tb seagates in my Readynas pioneer pro, and they failed miserably. The drives arent designed to be run in raid and kept dropping offline.

Update the firmware on them, the earlier revs paused I/O every few mins which causes the readynas (any NAS actually) to consider them faulty and drop them out of the raid group.

Archived