C4 Forums | Control4

What NAS are you using?

tebery

Agree with PeterM1.

From the Footnotes sections of the Hardware Compatibility List for HDD:

When using the Seagate 1.5TB drives firmware SD1A or newer must be used. This firmware will prevent the issue were frame drops occur while streaming videos. If you find yourself with older firmware than SD1A Seagate has released a firmware update that fixes this problem. See here for instructions on obtaining this firmware. Also please look at this Seagate Firmware advisory.

http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, they were the latest revision. Netgear was no help, but calling Seagate, the technician was suprised that the A series drives were supported even though they werent designed for RAID. The N series drives are the ones that were recommended. I returned the A series and purchased the 1TB N series drive and have had no issues.

there's no ethernet port in that price, hence you can't quite call it a NAS :rolleyes: If you add the droboshare then it's a NAS again. Sounds like a nice device though, if I hadn't invested in ReadyNAS I'd give it a try.

I saw some article saying RAID 5 is dead because with the large hard drives (ie 2TB) if you have 6-7 disks then the likelihood of a drive failure coupled with a read error is so high that it is almost inevitable. Thus RAID 6 would be the way to go in that situation... any insight on that from anyone here?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=162

Interesting read.

• 4 months later...

With the Apple TV you "sync" files using iTunes. iTunes does not support DivX so how do you plan on transfering files to the Apple TV?

If the drive on the Apple TV fails you lose all the data. This may not seem too bad considering the Apple TV syncs data and you still have a copy in your iTunes library. This does, however, hlight the fact that the Apple TV is a media player and not a redundant storage device which is the whole point of a NAS.

I love my Apple TV running Boxee as my media centre streaming content from my NAS.

Bog -

Good response. I ordered a Ready Nas Duo (2 bay). Going to start with 1tb and see how well it works. The problem with my system is that our theatre room has a HTPC. I want to back up all the media off it to the NAS and then stream. But it runs of wireless. Even if I get the back up done, if I stream, then my C4 lags, because the C4 controller in that room is on wireless too. Run into various latency issues.

Hoping I can find a solution this time to all this! Any suggestions on how not to bog down the C4. My entire C4 system will slow down because of wireless transfers internally across the house. Even now, if I download over 1.5MBPS from the internet, C4 slows down. Why would that be?

My router is directly attached to the Hc300 controller. Thoughts to fix this bottleneck are welcome!

Thanks

@rchawla: Check out the other thread about C4 lagging (I think it was about network traffic control or something). Someone else had a very similar issue and it appears to be their wireless access point. If you describe the network components n your environment I can help you troubleshoot and narrow the problem down.

Hi there -

Here is my setup (two levels)

Level 2 (above) HC300 connected to DIR-655 router (4 port).

Port 1 - HC300

Port 2 - Cat5 to HC-100 (old skool)

Port 3 - Cat5 to HC-100 (old skool)

Port 4 - Cat5 to Level 1 (connected to gigabit switch)

Level 1 (below):

HC-100 (old skool) connected to Wireless N bridge (has two ethernet ports, one to HC-100 and the other to HTPC)

Gigabit switch - connected to:

1) Media Controller (old skool) (another zone)

2) 16 channel amp (old skools) - wired to 3 zones

3) Apple Airport Extreme N (attached to 500gb airdisk for time machine backups)

Overall, it is working fine, just has lag issues sometimes.

I have another question: I just bought a ReadyNas 1TB, where is the best place to attach this for optimal performance if I want to use it to stream music to C4 (I am thinking to the HC300) near the DIR-655. I do not have another PORT left? What do I do?

Should I buy a bigger switch? and attach the switch first and then the router into the switch? I am uncertain as to how that would work. Right now my internet goes into the DIR-655 and its the only switch at the main point. Can I put a switch before the router and then attach the router into the switch? Will DHCP and internet still work properly? Please explain someone.

Thank you!

Anybody.........Drobo/Droboshare????

I have 3 Drobos. 2 of the FW400 and 1 FW800. Overall I've been impressed. I had some issues with the FW800 model using 1.5TB drives, but that was a Seagate firmware issue more than a Drobo issue. They are not as infallible as the Drobo site website would have you believe, but I have not lost any data in a year's use. They are slow though, even the FW800 model directly connected to a Mac Pro, so I did not bother with a Droboshare.

I now use the Drobos (which total about 15TB between them in usable space at the moment) as backup units and have replaced them with a of LaCie 4big Quadra 6TB units which I share via a Mac Mini that acts as my home server. I get nearer 40 Mbs from that verser 10mbs fro the drobos when shared on the network. Directly attached I can get 60 to 70Mbs from the Lacie vs max of about 22mb/sec from the Drobo FW800. Drobos are great for archival, But far to slow for "production" data and are quite noisy in comparison to the Lacie which is much quieter.

A Drobo would be fine as a NAS for music, but if you were sharing it between multiple clients and wanting video as well I don't think it could handle multiple streams. I find the Lacie, which I have configured in RAID Zero can serve as a good number of concurrent video/audio streams. More than I have a need for in any case.

I saw some article saying RAID 5 is dead because with the large hard drives (ie 2TB) if you have 6-7 disks then the likelihood of a drive failure coupled with a read error is so high that it is almost inevitable. Thus RAID 6 would be the way to go in that situation... any insight on that from anyone here?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=162

Smart money would use Raid 0+1 :)

Archived