C4 Forums | Control4

Party Mode Volumes

Ryan

What are you guys using to control volumes throughout the house? I think its rediculous to switch rooms to turn things up and down... I've tried a custom button "all up" and "all down" and said something like output_01_volume level +3 for each button press up but...it didn't work too well. Eventually all zones ended up completely wacked. Any thoughts?

You could create a script that sets each room at at specific level when it comes on, giving you a consistent starting point first.

Basically:

When current room device changes

set output 1 volume to 50

We do this for all multiroom installs so that the amp always comes on at an audible level without being too loud.

Let me know if you need help, I'll see if I have the backup here so that I can look at it and give you the actual script.

You and I think alike...Problem is, I was having issues with the say 50 volume when I was testing. It didn't seem right in that it was coming out really loud. I tried a workaround by setting it to a random number between 25-30...that didnt work well either. I was picturing my customer running around his house in his underwear trying to figure out why all zones are at 100percent at 6am. Thats a phone call i'd rather not take...unless of course it was his wife cause...nevermind

• 1 year later...
I'll have to revist that problem...what you are saying makes sense. I'll try again.

What I am going to try is the following. Before I burn a couple of hours programming and debugging, I'd love any comments suggestions. Net-net: Make the remote act like a "direct input" zone volume controller, with zone "9" being "all zones":

1) Create a room called "whole house audio"

2) The only device in this room is going to be the 16-channel amp (i'll likely end up putting volume keypads here too, but that just complicates what I am going to say)

3) Create an integer variable called: audio_zone_control

4.1) Set an event for "when 1 is received" on the remote which sets audio_zone_control=1

4.2) Set an event for "when 2 is received" on the remote which sets audio_zone_control=2

4.8) Set an event for "when 8 is received" on the remote which sets audio_zone_control=8

5.1) Set an event for "when volume_up is received" to do:

If audio_zone_control=1 then

set audio_output_1_volume = audio_output_1_volume + 3

If audio_zone_control=2 then

set audio_output_2_volume = audio_output_2_volume + 3

If audio_zone_control=8 then

set audio_output_8_volume = audio_output_8_volume + 3

If audio_zone_control=9 then

5.2) Do just like 5.1, except for volume_down events and use -'s instead

Thoughts?

I'll have to revist that problem...what you are saying makes sense. I'll try again.

What I am going to try is the following. Before I burn a couple of hours programming and debugging' date=' I'd love any comments suggestions. Net-net: Make the remote act like a "direct input" zone volume controller, with zone "9" being "all zones":

1) Create a room called "whole house audio"

2) The only device in this room is going to be the 16-channel amp (i'll likely end up putting volume keypads here too, but that just complicates what I am going to say)

3) Create an integer variable called: audio_zone_control

4.1) Set an event for "when 1 is received" on the remote which sets audio_zone_control=1

4.2) Set an event for "when 2 is received" on the remote which sets audio_zone_control=2

4.8) Set an event for "when 8 is received" on the remote which sets audio_zone_control=8

5.1) Set an event for "when volume_up is received" to do:

If audio_zone_control=1 then

If audio_zone_control=2 then

If audio_zone_control=8 then

If audio_zone_control=9 then

5.2) Do just like 5.1, except for volume_down events and use -'s instead

Thoughts?[/quote']

All this does beg the question:

Is there easy/right/accepted way to interact with the 16-channel amp (internal switch) via the remote? It would be great to have the level of control you get within composer (direct binding of inputs to outputs, all audio control (or even just volume/mute)) without having to re-invent the wheel for each install...

Archived