C4 Forums | Control4

Need a dealer to add two used remotes to my ststem...have 4sight accou

ruckus

I have a problem with my family breaking remotes so and can't afford to keep buying new ones. I have resorted to buying a used one on e-bay every now and then when the price is right. I now have two version two remotes that I need added to my project. I assume I need a dealer to do this. If I can do it with home edition I'll still need some guidance on how it's done. I'd be happy to pay a reasonable fee to an dealer that can take credit card or paypal. Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the info and ideas I get from the dealers / C4 experts on the board.

He is around but if someone on the board can do it then that works from me and saves me from making a few phone calls...no sometme this Sunday or Monday is fine

If your dealer is around I think you should contact them.

If your relationship is good they can perform this remotely.

Why did you not contact your dealer for purchase of the remotes? There are so many of V2's floating around that your dealer may have sold you some at a very low cost. I did this for 1 of my customers.

Depending on the Version those remotes you purchased are, they may not be compatible with your system.

If the remote needs updated to your version and does not update correctly your remote is bricked.

You'll still need to contact your dealer.

One of my customer's purchased a remote off ebay and called me up and asked me to identify a remote for them,

I asked them the same question, Why did you not call me.

They paid $80.00 for this remote. I told them that I had some for lower since it was discontinued model.

I then instructed them that I would not identify this remote due to many variable issues that could arise, but that I would sell them a brand new one with warranty for the lower cost.

I then installed the new one.

Truly not attempting to be sarcastic or combative. Contact your Dealer.

If you have no dealer or their is no relationship with your dealer there are others out there.

I am one that will not identify or program equipment purchased from ebay or another garage sale type of site.

I understand your reply and my dealer has never offered me a deal on remotes in the past (I've asked) so there is no reason to suspect that would change. Also they are a larger company that despite be nice they can be hard to get a hold of and frankly they don't share then same level of expertise or enthusiam about C4 as myself or the peoplpe on this board. Since there are many dealers here I thought someone could help and perhaps even pick up a new customer. I am a service director for a large chain of motorcycle dealerships and I get the problems that arise when someone buys/supplies their own parts. These days when people buy their parts from us I am thankful but I offer the same services to either group (in some cases at different prices). If I turned all those people away I know my business would be less profitable and my customers would be less satisfied. Lastly, I have done nothing wrong. New equipment with a warranty still can only be purchased through a dealer and I understand the benefits of that. However, it's unresonable for there to be no secondary market for people wanting to get rid of their equipment. It's posts like the one above that cause end users to seek out composer pro.

If there is anyone else here who cares to help please let me know. If all other dealers here share the same opinion as above then I am sorry I offended you and will stick to just reading.

That is great service you offer your customers. My dealer does not offer the same service. That is why I am here.

There may be a dealer here that will do that for you.

Issues arise from attempting to program something that isn't already verified.

No Offense Intended..

• 2 weeks later...

Not to steer this thread in another direction, but Ruckus I am with you on this one. I'm still on the fence about C4 and reading every thread and every detail of this forum before I make up my mind. It is the handling of situations like yours that I am also interested in. This lack of choice and control that the dealers have is just hard to understand. I completely understand their agreement with C4. I completely understand their wanting to be responsible for everything and anything that happens to your project. However, if you are willing to assume the risks of buying equipment that someone else no longer has a need for and willing to sign off on such, there should be no objection. So if I buy C4 some day and decide some point down the road that it no longer suits my needs that I don't have a means of selling the kit? If this is the case, then C4 should turn to a leasing program instead.

I don't have a choice to add kit to my project myself and I don't have a means of selling what I no longer have a need for. This doesn't sound like it is mine.

BTW, one of the dealers in my area that I'm considering for purchase and installation of C4 seems to be quite reasonble. I do know from conversation that he takes C4 kit in on trade. I do know that he has a flexible installation policy and willing to assist remotely when I need to add kit. I just hope these things happen on my schedule .. don't want to get my Netgear 9150 in on a Friday and have to wait until Tuesday to use it (for example).

I hope you find the assistance you're looking for! Sounds like you've made some conscious decisions and for reasons that are appropriate for you. You shouldn't be judged for those decisions.

David

I understand your reply and my dealer has never offered me a deal on remotes in the past (I've asked) so there is no reason to suspect that would change. Also they are a larger company that despite be nice they can be hard to get a hold of and frankly they don't share then same level of expertise or enthusiam about C4 as myself or the peoplpe on this board. Since there are many dealers here I thought someone could help and perhaps even pick up a new customer. I am a service director for a large chain of motorcycle dealerships and I get the problems that arise when someone buys/supplies their own parts. These days when people buy their parts from us I am thankful but I offer the same services to either group (in some cases at different prices). If I turned all those people away I know my business would be less profitable and my customers would be less satisfied. Lastly, I have done nothing wrong. New equipment with a warranty still can only be purchased through a dealer and I understand the benefits of that. However, it's unresonable for there to be no secondary market for people wanting to get rid of their equipment. It's posts like the one above that cause end users to seek out composer pro.

If there is anyone else here who cares to help please let me know. If all other dealers here share the same opinion as above then I am sorry I offended you and will stick to just reading.

So if I buy C4 some day and decide some point down the road that it no longer suits my needs that I don't have a means of selling the kit? If this is the case, then C4 should turn to a leasing program instead.

I don't have a choice to add kit to my project myself and I don't have a means of selling what I no longer have a need for. This doesn't sound like it is mine.

But, you can. You can sell it on ebay or trade it for smack on the street. Whoever buys it just has to have their dealer (or *a* dealer) add it to their project.

(note that I do not condone trading Control4 gear for smack on the street, it should be seen as a humorous analogy only. I cannot be held responsible for anyone's actions as a result of actually trading their gear for smack.)

So your dealer might not fit your isntallation schedule, if he is as willing to work wtih you as you say, then he surely wouldnt mind you finding another dealer to remotely install your 9150.

sorry, those were examples of concerns I have not actual events that have taken place. It was purely a simulation of possible events! ;)

So if I buy C4 some day and decide some point down the road that it no longer suits my needs that I don't have a means of selling the kit? If this is the case' date=' then C4 should turn to a leasing program instead.

I don't have a choice to add kit to my project myself and I don't have a means of selling what I no longer have a need for. This doesn't sound like it is mine.[/quote']

But, you can. You can sell it on ebay or trade it for smack on the street. Whoever buys it just has to have their dealer (or *a* dealer) add it to their project.

(note that I do not condone trading Control4 gear for smack on the street, it should be seen as a humorous analogy only. I cannot be held responsible for anyone's actions as a result of actually trading their gear for smack.)

So your dealer might not fit your isntallation schedule, if he is as willing to work wtih you as you say, then he surely wouldnt mind you finding another dealer to remotely install your 9150.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not to bring back too old a thread, but I just re-read this one and thought it was left dangling due to the tangent we took above.. :)

thecodeman I think the point Steiny is making is that if all dealers have the same attitude as K&J where they will not add equipment bought used on Ebay or other third party sites then there is no secondary market, no way to sell your gear, etc because who would want to buy gear that they couldnt get installed? You said 'Whoever buys it just has to have their dealer (or *a* dealer) add it to their project, but as can be seen in this thread that isnt as easy said as it is done.

But' date=' you can. You can sell it on ebay or trade it for smack on the street. Whoever buys it just has to have their dealer (or *a* dealer) add it to their project.[/quote']

Not to bring back too old a thread, but I just re-read this one and thought it was left dangling due to the tangent we took above.. :)

thecodeman I think the point Steiny is making is that if all dealers have the same attitude as K&J where they will not add equipment bought used on Ebay or other third party sites then there is no secondary market, no way to sell your gear, etc because who would want to buy gear that they couldnt get installed? You said 'Whoever buys it just has to have their dealer (or *a* dealer) add it to their project, but as can be seen in this thread that isnt as easy said as it is done.

It is unfortunate but not everyone's experiences with dealers are the same. There are things we may decline to do that others will and vice versa.

• 3 months later...
But' date=' you can. You can sell it on ebay or trade it for smack on the street. Whoever buys it just has to have their dealer (or *a* dealer) add it to their project.[/quote']

It is unfortunate but not everyone's experiences with dealers are the same. There are things we may decline to do that others will and vice versa.

I can see both sides on this from the dealers perspective I can definitely understand not wanting to do it because you could perform the service and the product brick because it didn't take the upgrade well and there's nothing you can do because there's no warranty and the customer wasn't showing you any respect in not coming to you in the first place anyway.

The issue here in my opinion is control 4, if a product bricks during a routine upgrade regaurdless of whether or not it is second hand control 4 should replace it.

The issue here in my opinion is control 4, if a product bricks during a routine upgrade regaurdless of whether or not it is second hand control 4 should replace it.

Absolutely, and if covered under the warranty period it will be replaced. But if it was purchased three years ago and is out of warranty that's a different story... and is unique to the situation and the client's dealer as to how it will be replaced.

Archived