C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Application for the PC - Any interest?

mitchelludwig

Hi, New to C4, been reading tons of post here, and this PC app is just what C4 needs. So, what has happened to this idea???

thanks for all the useful info here. Although I am just starting with my C4 project, so far it is clear to me from all the post, that support at the company level is poor to none. Too bad, the product has so much potential.

thanks for any reply

The direct company support of users might be non existent (that's their "model")..but support from enthusiastic users and dealers on this forum certainly isn't :)

Welcome. And don't despair. Don't hold back on your C4 project! It's been stated on this forum recently that a flash navigator is in "beta" and rumoured to be released fairly shortly....

If you sift through some of the recent threads you'll see what all the fuss has been about ;)

"Potential". Potential..your not wrong. This product has oodles of it... enjoy!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... support at the company level is poor to none.

This is just not accurate. The company supports their *dealers* quite well, and as it's a sell-through-dealer *only* model, it's the appropriate level of support.

Some at the company (myself included) as well as quite a few dealers participate on these forums, but it's not part of our job responsibilities, and will typically only help with questions that end users can do themselves without having access to ComposerPro.

RyanE

The full potential of this product will never be realized as long as the company is based in its current location. Until they are based in Silicon Valley - or Boston - the creative influences of the tech world will never infiltrate their culture - and become their culture. Here's hoping the VC's sell C4 to Cisco some day and this product - along with its complete integration into the world of Zigbee Pro devices takes place.

Opinions... Everyone's got one.

Needless to say, I don't necessarily agree with yours.

RyanE

Just left a cisco chritmas party... Great company, customers love them, staff love them. The head of Asia Pacfic always makes time to thank his customers and personally speak to as many as possible making each feel special.

He works amongst his staff on a hot desk like everyone else. These guys are serious about customer support , keeping there feet on the ground and doing great things.

The tandberg guys I know have been pretty excited by their cisco acquisition.

Don't know what it is like in America, but might not be that bad Ryan,,, :)

The full potential of this product will never be realized as long as the company is based in its current location. Until they are based in Silicon Valley - or Boston - the creative influences of the tech world will never infiltrate their culture - and become their culture. Here's hoping the VC's sell C4 to Cisco some day and this product - along with its complete integration into the world of Zigbee Pro devices takes place.

Not this argument again. See my last post when you brought this up

First of all, RyanE is on the payroll at Control4. Not that it matters, he is very open and surprisingly unbiased (IMO) on this board, but he is a programmer at C4.

Secondly, you don't think tech comapnies can be successful in Utah? If that's the case you need to do a little research. First example that comes to mind (a Utah startup...started by a neighbor of mine) is Omniture. Omniture is utah startup that any business with a website has heard of (and probably pays every month). After many years of double and triple digit growth (and setting industry standards, inovating the online world with new products) they recently were purchased by Adobe for a cool 1.8 Billion...not bad for a Utah startup.

Want a short list of companies founded and based in Utah that are in the tech industry, service the world, and did over $100,000,000 in biz in 2009?

Overstock.com

Myriad Gynetics

Omniture

1-800-CONTACTS

Sorenson Media

ARUP Laboratories

Merit Medical

Ancestry.com

Backcountry.com

Echelon Biosciences

IBAHN

StoresOnline

Sonic Innovations

SirsiDynix

The list goes on, and on, and on.

Utah is the only state in the country to receive a AAA bond rating, there are hundreds of examples of why Utah is such a smart place to start and grow any business, much less a tech business.

That list is just companies founded and based here. There are dozens of large companies with big facilities here including Verizon, HP, American Express, Comcast, Intel, etc...

If you think someone is an idiot for starting and running a tech business in Utah then you my friend are the idiot.

EDIT to add: Check out www.siliconslopes.com. It is a site that highlights all the booming "Silicon Valley" type business that are here on snowy slopes of Utah.

Second edit: Typo

If you think a tech company can't exist in Utah then you're not seeing things correctly. Just because Microsoft, Google and Apple weren't founded here....

If I had a minute I'd update that old post. Adobe is building a huge campus near my house right now that will hold thousands of employees. Me neighbor was recently hired by them to lead the team developing the Creative Suite product line, Flash CS7 primarily. This is right down the street from the Intel factory where they build micro chips....

I don't think that an Acquisition would necessarily be *bad* for the company (obviously depending on the company and terms), but I don't think it's required for Control4 to have good rapport with their customers (as long as you remember their customers are their dealers).

I think most good high-end dealers have a good relationship with their rep, and/or with the Area management and/or inside salespeople they work with within the company, and have resources to escalate issues that aren't being handled properly through tech support.

That said, tech support is pretty good most of the time as well, imho.

RyanE

Archived