C4 Forums | Control4

Innovative

Any suggestions on integrating plexus into C4?

Should I use a roku or third party to integrate it?  

I am new to plex ... I am familiar with what it does but want to make it simple for my wife & two kids.  

My thoughts from what I read is  1st option use roku......and a video matrix to TV's (if tv is to be used) then I am able to use roku on the matrix 2nd option  use roku on each tv>>>third option matrix the controller download a flex driver and use the navigator on the tvs?  

Any thoughts?

we almost exclusively use plex (via @alanchow's drivers) with roku in all of our media-enabled rooms. as Matt mentioned above, roku is the best experience as we've tried it on several other platforms with less success.

regarding distribution, we ended up dropping a roku 3 or roku stick on all of our "secondary" rooms in the house, but still controled by c4. even in the area where we have a matrix we have a roku as an input tied to each room so we can watch different things. we have the option to join the rooms together into a makeshift media scene, but having one for each display is a good way to go for our use case.

What makes Roku better than other similar options, say AndroidTV on a Shield or Apple TV?
Android and apple and many others have all messed around with control. Independence of Roku has meant they have continued to play nice with integrators.
Direct channel access is awesome.

If you're new to Plex and just want to try it before you sink any more investment into things, there are free mini-drivers for Plex for the Roku and other streamers that allow you to go straight to the Plex app from the remote control or via basic programming like Alexa voice scenes (nowhere near as seamless/integrated as the driver mentioned above). This will just turn on the Roku and its respective TV and go straight to the Plex interface (which is quite nice) where you can navigate from your remote--you basically just skip the Roku home screen on boot-up. Just another option to consider as you try things out.  

4 hours ago, Jed Peters said:

And the worst, most unreliable hardware, codecs, and processing.

All due respect (and I have a lot of it for you, as you know) the Shield is a MUCH better device.

With the Videostorm IRUSB the Nvidia Shield will soon be our preferred Plex hardware once we have finished modifying our driver to suit.

7 hours ago, Jed Peters said:

And the worst, most unreliable hardware, codecs, and processing.

All due respect (and I have a lot of it for you, as you know) the Shield is a MUCH better device.

3 hours ago, alanchow said:

With the Videostorm IRUSB the Nvidia Shield will soon be our preferred Plex hardware once we have finished modifying our driver to suit.

I honestly have had any issues playing any of my plex media library, nor any trouble with the roku at all. The IRUSB does make the shield more attractive, and i dont know if there are app shortcuts, but i get major brownie points for her to have all of her own app shortcuts on her own roku.

Now when Alan finished up with the Shield this may be our go to solution if we can get it for wholesale some where.

2 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

I honestly have had any issues playing any of my plex media library, nor any trouble with the roku at all. The IRUSB does make the shield more attractive, and i dont know if there are app shortcuts, but i get major brownie points for her to have all of her own app shortcuts on her own roku.

Now when Alan finished up with the Shield this may be our go to solution if we can get it for wholesale some where.

I can say the same. I have 3 Rokus going and they have all been rock-solid with integration, control and apps. I even added a Roku to my LG OLED because the native Plex app seemed to have a lot of issues for me. And I'll second that my wife loves the app shortcuts, too, haha. The only problem I have ever had is some weird flickering on one of my TVs when it's on 4k 60Hz which completely goes away if I switch to 1080p. Gotta love that HDMI, @wappinghigh! :)   

I'm still looking forward to possibly incorporating the Shield when Alan's driver is ready in my theater room to handle my Blu-ray rips--Rokus can't handle lossless audio via Plex from what I've been able to tell. 

With Alan’s plex driver does anyone else have the issue that you cannot scroll past a certain number of movies when on all movies. On mine once I hit movies starting with the letter I I cannot see more movies without having to go directly to the Roku plex driver or searching by letter or name.

to be clear if I go my movies, movies, all movies once I get to movies that start with H I cannot scroll any further. Never worked right since day 1.

9 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

Matt:

The issue with roku/plex is the lack of HD-format in the audio (no atmos, trueHD, DTS-MA, DTS-X) and the fact that it has a brutal time with HDCP 2.2 handoffs and switching on the network when playing 4k HDR content.

Matt:

The issue with roku/plex is the lack of HD-format in the audio (no atmos, trueHD, DTS-MA, DTS-X) and the fact that it has a brutal time with HDCP 2.2 handoffs and switching on the network when playing 4k HDR content.
On the second point why matrix them when you can put a $30 stick in most tvs.

Atmos etc is only a real issue in one or two rooms.

17 hours ago, Jed Peters said:

Matt:

yea this is where i am not having the issue still rocking a 5.1 at home myself. maybe some day.

yea this is where i am not having the issue still rocking a 5.1 at home myself. maybe some day.
By which point a steaming service will be streaming these audio options and roku will be decoding / passing through those audio streams in the next gen roku devices.

Archived