C4 Forums | Control4

Use a single HTC for 2 bedroom TVs?

dburton

I use one HTC for two zones of audio and 1 TV... so i don't see why you couldn't do that. The other TV would be in a different room and thus Composer would see that and treat it as a 2nd zone as well. Works very well.

Is there any reason you couldn't use a single HTC for 2 bedroom TVs? You would need to buy a second C4 remote. The customer I'm thinking about will also have a MC for their main entertainment center.

It's very do-able. The only problem we have experienced with this is no OSD. The custom buttons on the remote can't be programmed that if you press TV it turns the TV on to the cable box mode, you actually have to flick through the menu. Customers have been unable to perform this function. The OSD is the only surefire way to make sure they can use the system (even that sometimes is difficult).

OK. My interpretation of your post dburton is that you will have the HTC on-screen distributed to two TVs, both of which could be in different rooms. Is this accurate?

Lets say based on this you put the on-screen in the bedroom A and bedroom B. The issues and "gotcha's" that you should be aware of are:

1) Contention. Big issue for uneducated clients. Both rooms could be trying to access the on-screen at the sime time. Problems galore!

2) On-screen can only control one room at a time.

3) Pressing the "4" button will have unpredictable (to the client of course - not to you) depending on what rooms the SRC is set to. When you press the "4" button while standing in bedroom A, but the SRC is actually set for bedroom B, then guess what, bedroom B will come on! Very confusing for people. Even if they are in bedroom A, and the SRC is set for bedroom A, and they press the "4" button, the room will turn on. At that stage, I am about 70% sure that the onscreen will not always be set to bedroom A. It could well be bedroom B if that was where it was last used.

When I personally speak to dealers, I am always wary when they suggest this. It always sends shivers down my back because there is soooo many ways to confuse clients by using the same on-screen. The only way that I personally would sleep comfortable at night knowing that I won't get a call from a user is to have both bedroom A and bedroom B as the same room within Control4. This obviously results in major negatives in functionality.

So what's the moral of the story? I would urge you to setup two TVs on your test bench, have two SRCs in your hand and start playing with the system as you clients would.

Is there any reason you couldn't use a single HTC for 2 bedroom TVs? You would need to buy a second C4 remote. The customer I'm thinking about will also have a MC for their main entertainment center.

It's very do-able. The only problem we have experienced with this is no OSD. The custom buttons on the remote can't be programmed that if you press TV it turns the TV on to the cable box mode' date=' you actually have to flick through the menu. Customers have been unable to perform this function. The OSD is the only surefire way to make sure they can use the system (even that sometimes is difficult).[/quote']

We got around that by putting another remote in zone 2 and a mini color touch screen in zone 3. But yes - anytime you do something like that you have to have a way to control it.

I 2nd Samer, two TVs with OSN using one controller spells major confusion issues. We tried it once and swore it off forever!

I'll 3rd it! LOL. As I said - we use different controllers - and only zone 1 relies on the OSD.

A way it can be done is with a Keypad in the room with the TV. When you press the button it turns the TV on to the specfic source you want, the power button would work perfectly on the System remote control to turn it off.

The only problem is, if your sitting on the couch and you want to watch TV you would have to get up and press the Keypad button. Not a bad option for the price, still the best solution is 1:1 with the HTC. 1 HTC for each Screen, thats what we do at least until they customize the system remote control that you can make a button perform a series of actions. (Ie Videos, Turn Room on to DVD)

Dan

From reading your replys, it sounds like the HTC can only generate ONE on-screen display. It can't keep track of two rooms. You couldn't have a C4 remote in each room and have seperate on-screen displays.

Is that correct?

If that's true - then it sounds like the best (safest) rule of thumb is one HTC for each TV.

From reading your replys, it sounds like the HTC can only generate ONE on-screen display. It can't keep track of two rooms. You couldn't have a C4 remote in each room and have seperate on-screen displays.

Is that correct?

If that's true - then it sounds like the best (safest) rule of thumb is one HTC for each TV.

From our experience that is your safest bet...

.. hit the nail on the head! - or so the cliche goes.

dburton, you can always have one SRC in each room. Just do not rely upon the on-screen in these situations. The client will have to navigate via the 5-line LCD. I think the LCD Keypads will function as a good intemediary between the on-screen and 3.8" color touch screen.

Well I am about to do an install with one MTC for the house and 4 tvs, hope I don't learn to regret :) Reasoning went:

1) budget

2) there are only two of them, so odds are against them fighting over the UI

3) the DVD player is in a matrix switch to begin with, and that is the most common thing to control onscreen

4) it is never the only way to control, have color touchscreens (2), LCD (1), and remote controls (3) as other ways to control.

And yet I am nervous...

Curt

OK - I'm stuck.. what's an MTC? The HTC and MC only send out one VIDEO - and it's married to the room that you tell it that it's in. So the onscreen display will only show for that room. The HTRC (Home Theater Receiver Controller), which never shipped, was suppose to have TWO video out's - so you COULD have two rooms setup with onscreen. I think you're asking for a LOT of trouble here if you think the onscreen will work in multiple rooms.

Well I am about to do an install with one MTC for the house and 4 tvs, hope I don't learn to regret :) Reasoning went:

1) budget

2) there are only two of them, so odds are against them fighting over the UI

3) the DVD player is in a matrix switch to begin with, and that is the most common thing to control onscreen

4) it is never the only way to control, have color touchscreens (2), LCD (1), and remote controls (3) as other ways to control.

And yet I am nervous...

Curt

Good luck, From our experience it's virtually impossible to not have the OSD on the TV and an End user be able to handle it. Unless you have a keypad on the wall or a Mini Touch Screen.

There are mini touches on the screen except in the home theater. As for the MTC, got carried away, htc, mtc, is kinda works :) I meant MC of course... Yes, one on screen interface is correct, but you can change what room it controls.

Curt

I think a lot of this will come down to how they use the system. My primary use for the OnScreen is to select stored music. My wife and kids sit down and pick up the remote and use the LCD to pick what they want view (TV, DVD, or VHS) adn rarely if ever go to the OSD. I think as dealers we are more inclined to try and see how much we can push the system when we are setting up and doing demos than people will when going about their normal day. Besides, what actually happens when two rooms try to access the same OSD? What is the worst that can happen? Does the system explode? Do they get a busy signal? We have four people using one microwave and at times we have to wait while another family member finishes using it, but even if it is an inconvenience at the time, I've never though about getitng several microwaves. OUCH! I just fell off the soapbox, I didn't realize it had gotten so tall.

Archived