C4 Forums | Control4

How to handle an announcement when watching TV

N8Ball

Here's what I'm dealing with:

I have a motion detector installed at my front door to receive an announcement when someone approaches my front door.

I use the C4 generic announcement and play if over 3 separate rooms over my sonos speakers.

The thing my family HATES is that when watching a show (using the same sonos speakers), and someone comes to the front door, the announcement goes off and the sonos plays the announcement, but the TV stops playing the show and it takes a good 3-4 minutes to get back to the show, and rewind to where they were.

Any brilliant ideas on how to handle this in a more natural, less irritating, way?

Many thanks

We have our tv volume coming out of a sound bar and announcements out of the in ceiling speakers. 

The problem we seem to have is that an announcement will start, the soundbar will mute, announcement finishes, soundbar stays muted. 

Also off topic but can announcements with wires surround speakers? In the cinema room we have a 5.1 setup but the announcements only seem to play through the front 3 speakers and not the left and right speakers. Any way around this? 

1 hour ago, Shivam Paw said:

We have our tv volume coming out of a sound bar and announcements out of the in ceiling speakers. 

The problem we seem to have is that an announcement will start, the soundbar will mute, announcement finishes, soundbar stays muted. 

Also off topic but can announcements with wires surround speakers? In the cinema room we have a 5.1 setup but the announcements only seem to play through the front 3 speakers and not the left and right speakers. Any way around this? 

You could program a play or resume command after the announcement finishes on a time delay after announcement is triggered. As for 5.1 not playing, you'd have to setup the amp for a multi channel surround which basically pumps out the same sound to each speaker wired in. There might be some lag with programming that into your announcement workflow though I wouldn't do that unless you're ok with a delay.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:32 PM, sonic30101 said:

Snapshot driver and press pause/play.

What are the sources? I have xfinity cable boxes that support on screen popup messages in the corner and the kodi drivers also allow for it and those are my primary go to things for content. 

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I downloaded the snapshot driver and it seems to work pretty good, with limited testing.

I'm still not 100% sure why the TV turns off when an announcement is played though.

The most user friendly way seems like the show would pause, the announcement play, then the show resume, but for me the TV shuts all the way down, announcement plays, the TV comes back on. But all in all, it works as far as I can tell.

Thanks again

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I downloaded the snapshot driver and it seems to work pretty good, with limited testing.
I'm still not 100% sure why the TV turns off when an announcement is played though.
The most user friendly way seems like the show would pause, the announcement play, then the show resume, but for me the TV shuts all the way down, announcement plays, the TV comes back on. But all in all, it works as far as I can tell.
Thanks again
CEC on?

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2018 at 10:37 AM, N8Ball said:

Thanks again

could be that the audio and video endpoints could be mixed or swapped. depends on what does your announcement audio vs your video volume.

Archived