C4 Forums | Control4

Locating IR Sensor

BrianD

I am having problems locating an IR Sensor on a 52" RCA Rear projection TV (P52926) and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with these types of TV's and where they might hide the sensors. I've taken the front screen completely off and planted the IR cable everywhere that looks like a possible location but I can't seem to track it down.

The TV is about 5 Years old and I have been unable to track the manual down or pull it off of RCA's site. There is nothing fancy with this TV but it is driving me nuts trying to find this sensor...

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Brian,

From our experience with rear projection, you may have to take the TV apart and put the IR emitter right on the IR Receiver location, usually located in the back center of a television. What typically happens is the IR signal from an emitter does not pass through the plastic screen. It's very odd but it's the way it goes.

I've heard that a good test is to open the door (if it has one) of the location to replace the bulb. Put the IR emitter in there and move it around and pray for the best. The worst case scenario is you have to take the front off to get into the inside.

Dan

I have the front taken off but i can't seem to locate the IR receiver. On these big screens what exactly would I be looking for? The IR receiver on DVD's/Receivers are pretty easy to locate but not sure what I am looking for now that I have the front taken off :)

I have placed the IR emmitter all over the place and the IR sensor will flash to change Video inputs but the TV has yet to respond...

Thanks

Just to confirm how are you testing if you found the location? What I would do is create a new driver, learn the IR code from the actual tv remote for say volume up into that driver. Then I would emit it constantly until I saw something happen on the screen (and obviously move it around everywhere possible)

What some of the projection screens have is the entire screen is an IR receiver. The way the perform this function is by putting the IR receiver (Which looks like a little black light bulb) in the center of the back, opposite the mirror.

Dan

Thanks Dan

It was pretty much where you said it would be. I had to keep changing the TV channel on the C4 remote until i got a response from the TV. It was on a little circuit board at the bottom opposite the mirror.

Archived