C4 Forums | Control4

Muti-Channel Amp Clarification

SuperiorDan

I have not yet installed the C4 Multi channel amp. Will it allow any of the 8 sources to be played in any of the 8 zones/rooms? (Multi Source/Multi/Channel) I saw a guy complaining on a post somewhere that he thought it sucked you had to buy the matrix switch. Wasn't sure what he was talking about. Hopefully he just wanted more than 8 sources.

Yes the amplifier does have matrix switching capabilities.

I myself was one of the people that complained that it didn't have switching capabilities. Through some research it was revealed that a bug in the Composer software would not update the amp's properties to tell you it was in straight through mode (no matrix switching capabilites). In this mode, you cannot change the matrix switching setup via software. It can only be done via the front panel. The software simply didn't update a single check box, and because the amp's shipped in straight through mode by default complaints were raised. To fix it back then, all you had to do was check the box and then uncheck it. Everything reverted to normal after this.

This has since been fixed.

(elaborated some more during the edit)

I'm not an engineer, but would they have to do anything to the AMP physically to make it capable of receiving streaming audio from the HTC or MC? Or is it a software issue? I think it would be a great option to have.

Blake

To make it recieve streamed audio you would need at least 8x DACs (or 7x to keep with the hardware limitation of a controller). Then you would also need extra audio switching gear. Potentially you could have a 16x8 matrix switcher (or 15x8 to keep in line with the hardware limitations). Cool feature, but will drive up the cost of the unit quite substantially.

As far as I know this cannot be done in software.

I have just installed my first 16 ch. amp in our showroom, but I'm stumped almost immediately. Maybe one of you can help me out! I have 3 inputs coming from 1) MC 2) Receiver tape out 3) DVD player. Only the input sensing circles are filled for the DVD player, and it will play without problems. I can get the Media Controller to play digital music out through stereo out 1 into the receiver and plays through the speakers, but nothing goes out to the C4 amp from the tape out. Since the receiver is playing from the MC Stereo out 1, I'd assume that both input 1 and 2 on the multi channel amp should be playing the same thing. If I switch the output cables from my MC to stereo 1, it works ok, but I'm still not getting audio out on stereo 2.

Next is there any way to control volume levels in the 3 rooms I've got connected through the touchpads or remote? I can't seem to assign the output from the amp to anything or any room. I can mute the volume from the MC when it's wired that way, but that mutes all the rooms. Other than putting volume controls in those rooms, what ways have any of you found to control volume?

Lastly, is anyone else's fans on the multi channel amp sounding like a jet engine? This is the loudest piece of hardware I've ever heard!

Thanks for the assistance

ECinstall: I know that I don't fully grasp your situation, so the recommendations I will be making may be off base. In this situation, I would first make sure that the amp is working in straight-through mode. That is input 1 is audible on output 1, input 2 is audible on output 2 and so on. You can verify it is straight-through mode by using the front panel or double -clicking on the amp within Composer. Then use the front-panel or Composer to change input 2 to play on output 1, and then input 3 to play on output 1. This will test the switching capabilities. If this second test fails, you need to select and then de-select the "Inputs Locked" checkbox for the Amp within System Design in Composer. This should reenable the switching capabilities. Redo the second test to verify all is cool.

This might seem obvious, but have you tied the endpoints within the 3 rooms to the relevant outputs on the Amp? The same goes for the audio volume controls for the three rooms. When you switch rooms via the SRC, the volume should work automagically if you have correctly completed your endpoints.

hgrace: You can indeed lock inputs or outputs on the amp. You simply need to create a numerical container. Within the container place the relevant inputs or outputs of the amp. Please note that a container is permanent. You will never be able to change the inputs or outputs within teh container and have the others follow while the container exists. Can be dangerous in certain situations.

Archived