C4 Forums | Control4

HTC - USB Port

BrianD

Dumb question...

But what is the intended use for the USB port on the back of the HTC? Is it there for future enhancements or does it serve a purpose currently?

I was hoping to use it for music but I could not get composer to see the flash drive last night so I am assuming it is not setup for that or maybe I am doing something wrong?(very likely)

Thanks

I have a hard drive connected to my HTC here at my house and it works fine. To be quite honest, I set it up several months ago and I don't remember what I did, but it seems like it is listed as Network File Storage in Composer.

Blake

As far as I know, dan's post sums it up.

I have noticed that the system will not automatically recognise some USB drives. It generally works, but every now and then it will fail to work. It heavily depends on the USB chip they use.

Solution:

0) Make sure you are using the top USB port (I've got HTCs that have two USB ports, of which only the top one works).

1) Use another flash stick.

2) Notify C4 of the exact model you are using.

On the HTC, I use a multi-format card reader with a 1GB CF card in it. This is just to prove that the system can handle arcane multi-card readers. Seriously though, consider experimenting with different brands to see what the outcome is. More often than not, it will recognise.

Samer,

Well it looks like you were right on number1.... I changed out the Corsair (Flash Voyager) flash drive, which it didnt detect, with a PNY 512mb stick and it showed up in the Media Section titled "Empty Manufacturer".

Thanks again...

I've experienced inconsistent USB performance as well, so I adopted a different approach. I install the hard drive into an IP enclosure that provides NFS functionality. D-Link makes one.

Any PC on the LAN can RIP and write to the NFS disk and the MC and HTC can see it without any issues.

.. marcel

Archived