C4 Forums | Control4

4 zones (2 video), using 2 receivers

VegardK

I am wondering a little about this setup. And how others have done thing. If it where a normal 4 zones without video I would have gone with a Control4 amplifier, which is simple.

But since I need 2 of the zones being video (one in surround) I have thought of 2 setups. But not sure how this would play out in composer, or if even possible. And I guess others wonder about this or have done plenty of project with this task issue.

Option 1:

Using 2 receivers with 2 zones, where one is video. This means one can use quite cheap receivers. In my case I use a lot of Integra which has a good IP driver for Control4 as well.

Problem here is that playing the same or different in all rooms is troublesome. As each receiver gets one source each from the EA3. And maybe if possible a HDMI splitter could split the signal from EA3 to both receivers at same time? Anyone know if this is even possible?
Is there a driver that one can use to split a signal?

Another problem would be if one wants to watch the same on both video zones, unless one change the splitter for a matrix instead. And have all source go trough that first. But a matrix is way more expensive than a splitter.

2090170523_2xreceiverssetup.thumb.jpeg.e90c00b15327c7f0f1467cb55088d97c.jpeg

Option 2:

Using a bigger more expensive receiver that can handle 3 zones, where two zones is video. A receiver like this cost the same as two of the cheap ones and then some. Then for zone 4 I use a triad that is a source and also an amp which is a price that comes on top of that again. Plus here is that one have 4 source to play with. And I am pretty sure this is easier to set up as well.

222665393_1xreceiverstriadsetup.thumb.jpeg.567a6e7873cef703dd3b25ff537a6ae9.jpeg

I have three receivers running 6 zones of audio and have no problems with same source or different sources.

The three receivers are all fed from the C4 controller - we use spotify-> shairbridge for most music.

However - for your video sources - the more sources you add and want to share to multiple zones, the more issues you will find - a video matrix is ideal here - but yes, I understand you are trying to keep costs down...  I still use a Leaf component matrix due to high costs of HDMI...

I'm sure there are others on this forum who can help with the video options more than I can.

7 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

I have three receivers running 6 zones of audio and have no problems with same source or different sources.

The three receivers are all fed from the C4 controller - we use spotify-> shairbridge for most music.

However - for your video sources - the more sources you add and want to share to multiple zones, the more issues you will find - a video matrix is ideal here - but yes, I understand you are trying to keep costs down...  I still use a Leaf component matrix due to high costs of HDMI...

I'm sure there are others on this forum who can help with the video options more than I can.

But do you split the coax and minijack output as well then? or just give one source for each receiver? Could you explain a bit more how this is wired? Is there any special driver/connection you do?

No splitters are used

HC800 has three audio outputs. These three are physically connected to each receiver (1 x digital coax, 2 x stereo RCA)

Each of the connections in composer are connected to two zones.

These connections are used mainly for spotify via shairbridge drivers and TuneIn directly from the HC800

Plus I then have the audio from a media player, dvd and sky connected to two of the receivers.

Plus I also have audio from these three sources going to the av matrix to feed the two TV's which are not run from receivers.

As well as digital audio back to one receiver from the main TV.

on top of that, I have have all the video connected to a matrix using component.

add in a mess of cat cable to the switch, and you have one very busy rack!

Archived