C4 Forums | Control4

IP Cameras - looking for recommendations

dinosaur

And when you say PTZ, the Z part will kill you on cost.

Pan/Tilt is pretty common, not terribly expensive, I've got a Panasonic PT camera on my front porch, it's worked fine for a few winters in Utah, but if you want a Zoom, the price goes way up, because then they have to have better optics in the camera, autofocus, etc.

RyanE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dinosaur,

I live in the Boston area and suffer the same extreme weather temps. I had a client who installed the Panny PoE cameras outside when they first came out. They almost held up through the winter until an extremely cold day, then they crapped out. We eventually installed them in the Panny Dome heater and they have been flawless ever since.

I know if I, personally, were to buy cameras, I'd go with analog and get the Analog to Ip Server. Analog is definately going to be cheaper than any of the Panny or Axis options.

Well by default, the PTZ functionality is already there for Axis and Panasonic cameras. Other cameras that support mjpeg, you can see video/images from, but not PTZ unless you have written a driver for them. Sometimes you can get lucky and start with a panasonic or axis driver...but you never know.

Actually, the MJPEG functionality of the camera *also* has to be in the driver. It's not separate from the PTZ functionality as far as the driver is concerned.

It's all in the .c4i file that describes how to retrieve JPG/MJPEG, and how to control the presets, PTZ, Focus, etc.

RyanE

OP might be limited then. I don't know what the priority is for work at C4- I don't even understand my own company. I think that a hacked version of existing software should work sufficiently for us... What's the chance for success for Speco equipment on a Pany driver of comparable feature-set?

Yep, it's a toss. I really think need at home is not as great as us users make it out to be. I personally think one image per second is fine. Also, I function on fixed direction cams and rarely need to PTZ on the front entrance.

I'm testing the Panasonic BL-C140A which I found for under $200. Before I have my dealer add it to the C4 project I'm playing with it on using the included software. (if I'm not satisfied with it then it's going on Ebay).

It is outdoor ready, fixed focus, single frame (no ptz), proprietary poe (have to use the included poe injector). I placed it by the garage doors overlooking the entire driveway area and it seems to be fine.

A few questions:

1. I assume that C4 doesn't facilitate recording and that I will have to use the Panasonic software to record to my NAS.

2. What are some of the useful (or cool) things that you all do with your IP cameras on the C4 project?

3. What programming items are available in the Panasonic C4 drivers?

Thanks.

3) Not much.

The Navigators (on-screen and touchpanels) display a still of the camera while in the 'camera selection' page, and then allow you to see a 'medium-sized' or 'full-size' mjpeg stream from the camera.

There's not much programming associated with the camera.

i.e. you can't do motion detection, etc., with the Control4 driver. It just provides the ability to see them on the Navigators, and do PTZ / focus / presets if supported by the camera. Functionality like motion email, etc. are provided by the camera itself, in some cases.

RyanE

3) Not much.

The Navigators (on-screen and touchpanels) display a still of the camera while in the 'camera selection' page, and then allow you to see a 'medium-sized' or 'full-size' mjpeg stream from the camera.

i.e. you can't do motion detection, etc., with the Control4 driver. It just provides the ability to see them on the Navigators, and do PTZ / focus / presets if supported by the camera. Functionality like motion email, etc. are provided by the camera itself, in some cases.

RyanE

The Panasonic BBHCM531 is PT with motion detection. Is there a way for my dealer to program the lights to come on if the camera detects motion if the driver is edited by him? Is it possible to edit the driver?

3) Not much.

The Navigators (on-screen and touchpanels) display a still of the camera while in the 'camera selection' page' date=' and then allow you to see a 'medium-sized' or 'full-size' mjpeg stream from the camera.

RyanE[/quote']

The Panasonic BBHCM531 is PT with motion detection. Is there a way for my dealer to program the lights to come on if the camera detects motion if the driver is edited by him? Is it possible to edit the driver?

Does that panasonic camera have the contacts on the back? I put some up a few weeks ago but cant remember the specific model #. It had green contacts that we hooked up to a card access contact switch, and that's how we triggered motion-based events in the kids rooms without also having to have a motion sensor.

No. The motion detection information is *not sent* by the camera in it's protocol, so there's no way for Control4 to capture that information, outside of Cody's suggestion to use the hard contact outputs on the back of the camera, which may put that info out.

RyanE

3) Not much.

The Navigators (on-screen and touchpanels) display a still of the camera while in the 'camera selection' page' date=' and then allow you to see a 'medium-sized' or 'full-size' mjpeg stream from the camera.

RyanE[/quote']

Does that panasonic camera have the contacts on the back? I put some up a few weeks ago but cant remember the specific model #. It had green contacts that we hooked up to a card access contact switch, and that's how we triggered motion-based events in the kids rooms without also having to have a motion sensor.

Thanks Code and Ryan. So it looks like I'll have to have my dealer work it out with the CardAccess Motion Detector. Too bad. It just adds cost and it also adds the nuisance of a battery operated device (the motion detector) which will require changing batteries periodically. I understand that in high traffic areas, the battery may need to be replaced a few times per year. This is not a very attractive solution, unfortunately.

So I take it your camera does not have contact outputs on the back, then?

Also, although the CardAccess devices doesn't specifically support it, if you already have power at the camera, you may be able to use a 9V adapter to power the motion sensor.

If not, the batteries do last a long time. It seems like I only replace mine closer to once a year, and they are on my main stairs, so they get triggered 20-30 times a day.

RyanE

So I take it your camera does not have contact outputs on the back, then?

Also, although the CardAccess devices doesn't specifically support it, if you already have power at the camera, you may be able to use a 9V adapter to power the motion sensor.

If not, the batteries do last a long time. It seems like I only replace mine closer to once a year, and they are on my main stairs, so they get triggered 20-30 times a day.

RyanE

I've just ordered the camera and have not yet received it. I believe it DOES have contacts. But that doesn't help except, as Codeman suggests, to connect the Cardaccess Motion Detector. Correct?

BTW, the camera is POE and no A/C is nearby.

Ryan, I'm not sure what you are asking in your inquiry about the contacts.

Thanks.

Dino,

The contacts on the back of it could be used to close the contact on the back of your controller. If you can get wire to it and your controller. You do not need the card access unless you have to do it wirelessly

Brent

Dino,

The contacts on the back of it could be used to close the contact on the back of your controller. If you can get wire to it and your controller. You do not need the card access unless you have to do it wirelessly

Brent

THanks. I have a single Cat6 with POE going to the camera. I wonder if one of the pairs is unused and can be used for the contact? Just thinking outloud........

I've just ordered the camera and have not yet received it. I believe it DOES have contacts. But that doesn't help except, as Codeman suggests, to connect the Cardaccess Motion Detector. Correct?

Thanks.

No, I wired the contacts from the camera to the contact switch, because we didnt have a wire running from the camera's location to the controller to use the contacts on the back of the controller. By using the card access piece, we use the camera's built in ability to trigger the contact based on motion, which sends the signal out of the contacts on the back to the card access piece, which then converts it to zigbee and the controller picks it up as an event.

Archived