C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Dimmer Possibilities

bog

That's what my volume does... on button push system will slowly raise volume if last variable was true or lower volume if last variable was false. on button release system will stop volume change and also change variable for next press.

I really need to implement color led so I know which way the volume is going to go on press and hold :)

Good Idea.

Could also implement some double tapping to help indicate which way the volume will go... I think I like this best:

On Stereo On - Set Variable to True and LED to GREEN

Double tap - If Variable is False, Change LED to GREEN and set Variable to True

- If Variable is True, Change LED to RED and set Variable to False

On Press - If Variable is True, Start Volume Up

- If Variable is False, Start Volume Down

On Release - Stop Volume change

ok, the flood is coming!!!!

implement a triple tap on the volume button to switch sources!

On Stereo On - Set Variable to 1 and LED to GREEN

On Press - If Variable is 1, Start Volume Up

- If Variable is 0, Start Volume Down

- If Variable is 2, Change to next Audio Source (program another variable)

On Release - if Variable < 2, Stop Volume change

Double tap - If Variable is not 0, Change LED to GREEN and set Variable = 1

- If Variable is 1, Change LED to RED and set Variable = 0

Triple tap - Change LED to Orange and set Variable = 2

^Agreed. This is all highly obessive.

To say the least.

You don't want it to be TOO confusing.

Obviously the sky is the limit, but unless you live alone you'll have problems. This would never fly at my house. My wife would be doing stuff by mistake all the time, then she would want it gone.

I use a couple of 6 button keypads for core light monitoring, key room monitoring, etc.

Core light monitoring:

The left 3 in each 6 button bank control the upstairs hallway, stairs, and back hallway. They toggle the lights. LED's are blue when the lights are off and the alarm is off. They switch to red (along with the entire house) when the alarm is on so you can quickly tell and you don't set off the alarm when you go feed the dogs without having the siren, neighbors, and call from the security company. If a light is on, they switch to yellow (regardless of if alarm is on or off) so you know.

Key room monitoring:

Started since I insulated alot of the interior of the house since we live downstairs and our kid is upstairs and we didn't want to have him waking us up playing rockband, etc. I was originally hoping the C4 intercom feature would get sorted out but it sort of never did. So I use the right bank of 3 buttons to monitor the media room, office, and his bedroom. Normally the led's are off completely. They turn yellow if in the respective room the lights are on. They turn green if the TV/Radio/etc. is on or purple if both the light and TV/Radio/etc. are on. Let's me know where he is and what he is up to at a glance. It helps certain mornings where he's hiding playing video games and we didn't know he was up. (Aside: I also now have a little LUA sources driver that also tells me what source is playing in every room in the house since we have multiple Tivo's and don't like to keep jacking people on their programs.)

Back to the keypads, you tap them once when something is on in the room. If the lights are on, it causes them to flash off and back on. If the TV/Radio/etc. is on, it becomes a mute and pause toggle. Viola our built-in kid paging system. The messae to our kid, put your video game controller down, etc. we need something from you. My wife doesn't do stairs well so this makes it easier for her. Also, tied custom buttons to the same functionality so if you are sitting in the family room watching TV, you can access the same paging type function from the remote without getting up. Isn't this what home automation is all about, control from the laziness of your chair?

One note on changing LED light colors with the security system being armed... I would just make sure that those LED changes are not visible from outside of the house or you may just be letting a potential burgler know when you forgot to arm the system.

That burgler probably doesn't even know what those LED's are, much less understand that you have them programmed for alarm status. On top of that, they would have to know how you programmed them.

Any burgler that knew that would probably know your alarm code.

I read somewhere that the majority of burglers are people that have been to your house before, if that is the case then there is a distinct possibility they might put 2 and 2 together with the security alarm and LEDs. Personally I just have a single LED visible to me near the doors that will change colors but those are not visible from the outside. Also something less apparent than red might make it harder to figure out. Lights changing to red to me automatically get associated with something being armed.

Archived