C4 Forums | Control4

Network Equipment Question

JFan84

Any thing would do, I have Cisco and Ubiquiti and they are working fine, there are some prerequisites required to make sure nothing interferes with C4, Like turning off spanning tree etc. these are listed in the site here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have a basic set up ~ isp to netgear switch 

controller attached to  Netgear Switch 

works fine no issues.

have Netgear switches and Eap 115 from tp link (AP’s )around the house and gardens 

WiFi channels we use 1 ~ 6 and 11 

ZIGBEE Channel 25

ZigBee Channel 25 is broadcast at a lower signal strength than all other channels due to legislation, I would also recommend trying channels 15 or 20 as they sit outside the main spectrum or Wi-Fi channels 1, 6 and 11.

20 hours ago, appliedautomation said:

Pretty sure 25 is lower due to FCC which is only in the US. 

The legislation might only apply in the US but it is applied globally on C4 products, or so I have been led to believe from C4 tech support staff. 

I think that's probably the case (lower power regardless of location), but 25 works extremely well if you're in a very heavy wifi environment.

Control4 uses Channel 25 at tradeshows, because wifi is pretty ridiculous at shows (500+ access points in view at Control4 booth at CES back in the day, 300+ access points at CEDIA).

RyanE

On 5/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, JFan84 said:

is it OK to user the customers ISP provided wireless router

Simply put, no.

Oh in some cases the ISP router may work, especially in smaller systems.

But those are the exceptions.

• 5 months later...
43 minutes ago, Cyknight said:
On 12/5/2019 at 7:51 AM, blacklance said:

No, no they are not. If yours is, good on you, but even a cheap consumer router is liable to do better than most ISP equipment.

I do use my isp router but it is only there to make a connection to my switch. Everything else is done post switch including all ap. I’m not having any problems but would like to implement best practice. With this kind of setup would you still recommend changing the router?

many thanks

On 12/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, tdougray said:

With this kind of setup would you still recommend changing the router?

YES!

ISP routers are just not built to handle smart home systems. This is not a Control4 system, or even an 'pro' system thing - this is a general rule. With the amount of wireless devices people tend to have these days, this is even starting to show up without smart home setups.

While they can have decent or even good WiFi coverage and/or speed, and good through-put overall, the issue happens in the concurrent connections which ISP routers, and for that matter many if no most (though not all) consumer off the shelf routers just aren't able to handle.

What you see is devices falling off line, even if only briefly in the best of cases, potentially causing all sorts of 'odd' behaviours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.