C4 Forums | Control4

Speaker on Surround Processor AND House Audio

bebster

I have a room which is setup for a TV and surround speakers power via a surround sound processor. But the room is also used without the TV when just the whole house music would be played (through the same speakers hopefully).

I'm looking for suggestions about how to wire this so the speakers can serve this dual purpose. I could probably route the house music through the surround processor, but that would take a lot of power I think, and the music my be playing as background music all day. Thanks!

I have a few rooms like this. My system isnt set up yet but as I understand it as long as the media is being fed through the controllers it can simultaneously be fed to your HT receiver and play through the theater speakers.

If you are asking about wiring it so that your speakers are connected to the 8 channel amp I dont think you can do that as easily because the speakers could then potentially have two sources feeding it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really the job of your surround processor OR receiver to take the RCA level stereo signals from your source and that could be your control4 system and feed them to your speakers. It could simply play them direct left and right channels or stereo matrix, ProLogic IIx or DTS:Neo playing all 8 (including sub channel) speakers. Control4 should control this processor/receiver and you can send it the command to select the sound format you wish or simply select TV audio as your source when using it as surround system or turn it off for no sound in the room.

• 3 months later...

Your dealer should have access to an automatic speaker-level source selector that will receive power from both your surround receiver, and distributed audio amplifier, and select which is powering the front L/R speakers in the surround zone.

The wiring is not unusual, as long as your HTR and distributed home runs are in the same place.

Archived