C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone ever peek inside an HC-1000?

chicagoskiguy

The v.1 version is something like a 1.8GHz processor.

I don't remember the amount of RAM, etc., but there's also specialized loader code loaded into a custom hardware module onboard. The processor boots out of Flash RAM with the loader code, so even if the disk goes out, you still have a working controller.

RyanE

You are correct in that it is a computer in a rack mountable case. It runs linux' date=' but that is exactly what it is.

No navigator, no zigbee, just processing power.[/quote']

That's a very high MSRP for a simple computer.

That is exactly why I have not purchased one. I can stand a little slowness in lieu of spending $3000. Hopefully the next version and or model will be priced better.

You are correct in that it is a computer in a rack mountable case. It runs linux' date=' but that is exactly what it is.

No navigator, no zigbee, just processing power.[/quote']

That's a very high MSRP for a simple computer.

That is exactly why I have not purchased one. I can stand a little slowness in lieu of spending $3000. Hopefully the next version and or model will be priced better.

I hope your hope turns out to be a reality but somehow I doubt the price will come down very much at all. I hope I'm wrong.

Sure, the component parts can be had for less, but that can also be said about the HC-300, HC-500, and every other piece of gear from every manufacturer anywhere.

What gives it value is that it's an integrated piece. It works seamlessly in a Control4 system, it upgrades within Control4's Update Manager, the software 'just works' on it. Dealers don't have to put it together and figure out what what's wrong. Dealers don't have to fix it if, for example, for some reason, the particular RAM they purchased causes the system to hang. Control4 does. This just works.

At the end of the day, it either is worth the price to you or it's not. That you can buy an equivalent motherboard, processor, RAM, disk and rackmount case for less is irrelevant.

RyanE

I was making some changes to the rack today and needed to move the HC-1000. So I figured what the heck, lets take a look. 1.2 GHz Celeron processor, 1 GB RAM.

Cost of the off the shelf hardware? Less than $250.

Cost of the R&D? Unknown.

Worth the price? For me... Yes. I have never once had an issue with speed, functionality, or the system needing a reboot. Could I get the same performance from an HC-500? Possibly... but I'll never need to know.

Here's what's inside:

Intel Desktop Board D201GLY2A with Embedded Celeron 220 (1.2 GHz) http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D201GLY2/configs.htm

Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G 1024MB 667MHz Non-ECC CL5 DDR II ValueRAM Memory http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR667D2N5/1G

Seagate 500GB DB35.3 Hard drive http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/consumer_electronics/db35_series/

Sparkle Power 250W FSP250-50PLB Power supply http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/FSP250-50PLB(1U).pdf

hc1000-1.jpg

hc1000-2.jpg

hmmmm.... now THIS is interesting. SO many mods coming to mind all of a sudden.

The name of my (personal) company is AV&PC, and I've done tons of custom PC builds. While I'm sure I will get the usual "NO DON'T TOUCH IT!" responses, I all of a sudden want to play with some hardware :)

Here's mine when I fist built it (3rd one that is)... has since had quite a few upgrades, but what I'm wondering is... What happens if I drop the HC1000 HDD in my rig? Does C4 then go the speed of light with a 3gig quad core and 4 gigs of DDR3 1066mhz ram?

coolit027.jpg

I guess it would cost me 3k to find out.

hmmmm.... now THIS is interesting. SO many mods coming to mind all of a sudden.

The name of my (personal) company is AV&PC, and I've done tons of custom PC builds. While I'm sure I will get the usual "NO DON'T TOUCH IT!" responses, I all of a sudden want to play with some hardware :)

Here's mine when I fist built it (3rd one that is)... has since had quite a few upgrades, but what I'm wondering is... What happens if I drop the HC1000 HDD in my rig? Does C4 then go the speed of light with a 3gig quad core and 4 gigs of DDR3 1066mhz ram?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e272/uxcbaykt/Cool%20It/coolit027.jpg

I guess it would cost me 3k to find out.

Most likely it wont as the package build is built to the processor/memory/northbridge's family and would not take advantage of the mutliple cores or DDR3 speed rates/timing.

I tried to use a very open source linux project (Ubuntu and LinuxMCE) about a year ago. Couldnt use any of the video cards I have as no one had compiled a driver package (looking at you Nvidia) for Linux for the 8800GTS.

Could there be? Maybe. Hard to say though without knowing exactly what the "bios" supports and what drivers are included in the build of linux. Worth killing your time on? If that's your bag. I've got other issues I'm trying to fix :)

Looks to all be standard parts with the exception of the small board plugged into the USB header of the motherboard, probably what Ryan was talking about above.

The Celeron is kind of funny, that being said, it sounds like people are happy with the current speed. I'd assume that the Celeron has less of a power requirement and probably doesn't generate as much heat either... very handy feature for a rack mountable server.

Schrader thank you for the pictures. Also thanks for the tip a few months back on installers, I've been working with Kris ever since.

• 1 month later...

price is all relative - for systems I was involved with in the entertainment industry.... some of the control system hardware was not run on much more than this - but multiple redundant units with feedback for every process and the many of the systems ran on dos or were ladder type PLC programming - as all had to be real time control.... costs could run to over a 100,00$ for one controller system (1 controller)

the HC1000 is worth every penny in a larger system ..

compare the price to some of control4 alternatives - and its still a bargain

• 3 years later...

In working with a HC-1000v3 I thought it was interesting the changes from the HC-1000v1 pictures shown above.

photosde.jpg

The newer board has eSata drive connectors and the USB extension to the front panel, where a Micron eUSB (embedded flash memory) is plugged into a IDC header. Compared to v1 where the eUSB was on the USB IDC connector of the main board.

photo3bje.jpg

Archived