C4 Forums | Control4

Media Servers and Control4

dinosaur

I have an EVA8000. I have a Drobo loaded with media (2 TB of music and movies with more added constantly).

I want to keep less media locally and have less dependency on my cable company.

What's a geek to do? lol

I love the idea of streaming HuLu or using boxee or XBMC (probably others that I don't even know about).

The question is: How to integrate it with C4 in terms of controls. If I used a macmini which has a nice small footprint then how do I control it with a c4 remote? Does anyone have drivers to drive the XBMC gui or other gui's that run on these computers?

I'm just starting to look around and would appreciate any ideas.

I see the C4 integration in a few ways.

1. C4 manages your media (I.e. The media continues to reside on the network and C4 indexes all the content). You browse the C4 media library and control playback. C4 sends commands back to your media playback devices and sets the video source. This is what the netgear and xbmc driver do.

2. You switch the video to your media playback device and use it's media playback features. It would be easy to develop IR drivers for this scenario.

Im a big proponent of XBMC, and Im sure when the new driver comes out (although it will no longer be free) it will clearly be the best solution unless someone writes a driver for a Network Media Tank such as Popcorn Hour. Even the current XBMC driver beats most of the solutions available now, but it apparently has some glitches with freezing and not letting you back out of menus occasionally.

Archived