C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor Keypads

poucedeleon

My local Audio Video store has a Control4 display that uses three keypads outdoors. "Two Button" for Volume, "Four Button" for Zone selection (Although I plan on using a Six Button), "Six Button" for Playlist, Channel up, Channel Down, Mute, Living Room, All Off.

My question is, since this is outside can I put a switch between the line feed and the keypads to turn the power off to the keypads, so no unexpected visitors or kids playing outside could use them. I don't want to be gone on a trip and have someone come onto my back deck and be able to turn on the music.

You certainly could put a switch on it, although they might take a minute or two to join back into the Zigbee network after an initial power-up.

I'd probably put functionality on the keypresses, where you have a boolean variable that's checked to see if the keypad function should operate or not.

Then you have other code that sets that boolean variable on a keypad somewhere inside the house, like a 'Lock Outdoor Keypads' or 'Unlock Outdoor Keypads' functionality. They could be on custom buttons on a Navigator, or a keypress on a 6-button keypad or the like.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan, I am changing the box next to the back door from a single gang box (it houses the switch to the backdoor light) to a two gang box and was planning on putting a electrical switch there, but instead I will use a keypad to serve the purpose of disabling the outside keypads.

Archived